Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Found entry for William Carr in the index of war d

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 16 May 2009 15:43

I have managed to locate an entry in the index to war deaths 1914-1921 for Private William Carr army number 1610 Northumberland Fusiliers who was killed in France on the 16th of June 1915. The volume is I.30 page 76.

Can anyone tell me, what can I do with this information?. Can I get details about where and how he died? Can I get further documentation about him?

Many thanks.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 16 May 2009 15:52

You can order his death certificate from the GRO with the reference you have. On the first page of the ordering process go to "overseas deaths". and check "yes" when asked if you have the full GRO reference.

The certificate isn't likely to give much more information than you already have.

Kath. x

Alan

Alan Report 16 May 2009 16:00

......................or you can take advantage of Ancestrys free 14 day trial offer and search WW1 Army Records yourself. If they have survived, they will provide a description of him, next of kin and where they were living,

Helen in Bucks

Helen in Bucks Report 16 May 2009 16:25

also try the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website at www.cwgc.org, you should be able to find out where his grave is, sometimes there is more information e.g. specific battles which took place in the area or if the cemetery was specifically for prisoners of war etc

Just had a look for you, this is what it says:

Name: CARR, WILLIAM
Initials: W
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Northumberland Fusiliers
Unit Text: 1st/7th Bn.
Date of Death: 16/06/1915
Service No: 1610
Additional information: Son of John and H. Carr, of Ellingham Home Farm, Chathill, Northumberland.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 8 and 12.
Memorial: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

Helen

Choccy

Choccy Report 16 May 2009 16:28

This is the inscription on the Menin Gate memorial

In Memory of
Private WILLIAM CARR

1610, 1st/7th Bn., Northumberland Fusiliers
who died age 20
on 16 June 1915
Son of John and H. Carr, of Ellingham Home Farm, Chathill, Northumberland.
Remembered with honour
YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

and this is more information provided on the CWGC site -

Additional information: Son of John and H. Carr, of Ellingham Home Farm, Chathill, Northumberland.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 16 May 2009 16:29

These are the details from the Commonwealth War Graves site:-

Kath. x

Gemerald

Gemerald Report 16 May 2009 16:35

Have you seen this site;
http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=1605954

This gives you the details of memorial he is named on (YPRES MENIN GATE MEMORIAL) ....A quick google search brings up a lot of information on this.

Ah, i see i had the same idea as a few others....only they can obviously type quicker!

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 16 May 2009 17:02

John

In case you maybe interested his name on the memorial panel has been photographed, which you can obtain at a cost, here are the details and the link to the site
http://www.twgpp.org/information.php?id=912733

The War Graves Photographic ProjectHomeAbout The CWGCAbout UsNews & FAQTours & EventsVolunteersSearchGalleryContact UsSponsorsX Is there a charge for this service?
As with all facilities of this nature there are costs to be borne to maintain the Server, IT equipment, processing images, post, stationery, DVD's plus a plethora of other outgoings not normally considered. Although the project is run in association with the CWGC we are not funded by its Royal Charter and have to find these funds ourselves to maintain this service. Volunteers cover their own costs in enabling the photographs to be taken and give time freely.
To that end we would request that, a minimum donation is made towards the administrative costs which will allow us to continue providing the service. As a guideline, for an e mailed, high resolution image, without watermark the administration fee will be £3 and for a 7"x 5" glossy print posted in hard backed envelope the fee will be £5. We request this be forwarded in advance of receipt of photographs.
If a memorial name is required you will receive a cropped area of the name on the plaque and a picture of the memorial as shown.
Institutions requiring a number of images for publication or other purposes should contact the project on [email protected]. Copyright remains with the Donor, CWGC and TWGPP.
You can donate through PayPal, Cheque or Postal Order made payable to The War Graves Photographic Project and sent to 11 Falcon Road, Horndean, Hants PO8 9BY.
The TWGPP is a non-profit making organisation where any donations are used only for the benefit of the project.

Carr, William
Cemetery: Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial

Area: West-Vlaanderen

Official Number: 1610

Unit: 1st/7th Bn. Northumberland Fusiliers.

Force: Army

Nationality: British

Details:
16th June 1915. Age 20. Son of John and H. Carr of Ellingham Home Farm Chathill Northumberland. Panel 8 and 12.

Photograph and details by volunteer/s: CWGC Archive

Back to search results
PHOTO REQUEST FORMTo order a copy of the photo please fill in the form below.

Requesters Name: Type Required:

Hard Emailed Both

Postal address for hard copies: Email address for Emailed copies: Notes: Donation: What is the donation for?

PayPal Cheque PO

eg. £3 for emailed, £5 for hard copies

All postal donations should be made payable to 'TWGPP' and sent to 11 Falcon Road, Horndean, Hants, PO8 9BY

Small print - Copyright remains with the CWGC/TWGPP/Donor. Those wishing to use photographs for publishing purposes should contact TWGPP for appropriate permissions.

The War Graves Photographic Project, 11 Falcon Road, Horndean, Hants, PO8 9BY email: [email protected], [email protected] Copyright © The War Graves Photographic Project, 2008. Website design and hosting by Web of Knowledge

George

Gemerald

Gemerald Report 16 May 2009 17:08

John,
I second George's suggestion of the above site.
I got a picture of my ancestors Grave via that site....it was emailed to me within 10 minutes of me paying via paypal. Photo is of very good quality.

Gemma

Alan

Alan Report 17 May 2009 17:28

................Anyone seen John ?

John

John Report 20 May 2009 21:00

Hello all,

Many thanks for all your very kind responses. My apologies for not responding sooner. It would help if Genes Reunited sent you an email when someone responds to your post?

I have a great deal of information already about William, like his death certificate, his medal card, a photo of him and a photo of his name on the Menin gate. What I was hoping to find out was where he was actually killed and how. I think his service record has been burned during WWII bombings. So I think I will have to accept we will never know what happened to him.

Many thanks again for all your very kind responses.

John (MIL Carr)

mgnv

mgnv Report 21 May 2009 01:50

Most likely, you won't find more info on him, but if you got hold of the war diary for the 1/7th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers, you would find what his battalion were doing that day. It should be at Kew, but there might be a copy with the regimental museum or local library, probably in Newcastle.

John

John Report 21 May 2009 19:45

The NA have just come back to say, they don't have it.

And yet someone has just pointed me to the Ypres website where the diary is on a post there?