Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Quaker BMDs pre 1837 advice please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Martin

Martin Report 17 May 2009 17:34

Where do I find info on Quaker pre 1837 BMDs I understand they wont be found in Parish records.

Thanks.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 17 May 2009 17:38

You may find this link helpful.

http://www.bmdregisters.co.uk/help/aboutRG6.htm

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 17 May 2009 17:49

Or try the IGI on Familysearch.

Or the Pilot Records search on Familysearch.

Jill

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 17 May 2009 18:42

maybe if you were prepared to post some details someone may be able to find something for you

Martin

Martin Report 17 May 2009 18:58

I am looking for information on John Ebenezer Goodwin Quaker b1893 Surrey recorded as a Herbalist on sons marriage cert. I believe he was married to Elizabeth ?????
They had at least 2 children Daniel 1824 and John 1821.
any further info would be appreciated.

thanks.

Kate

Kate Report 17 May 2009 19:11

There is an extracted record on the IGI - not sure what QM means, though. Looks as though it is some kind of a record from the Society of Friends (ie. Quakers).

Daniel Goodwin
Birth: 22 APR 1824 Society Of Friends Qm, Surrey, England
to John Ebenezer Goodwin and Elizabeth

Other Goodwins in that batch are:

Lucy Goodwin b. 12 Jul 1820 to Jno. Clineger Goodwin and Elizabeth (I'm guessing this has been misread and should be Ebenezer)
John Goodwin b. 29 Oct 1821 to Jno. Ebinezer Goodwin and Elizabeth

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 17 May 2009 19:13

Hi, I think you will find that Familysearch contains very little if any information on Quakers as the Quaker authorities do not allow their records to be photocopied by the Mormon church. Likewise Jewish and many RC records.

Martin

Martin Report 17 May 2009 19:15

I think QM means Quartely meeting.
being a non believer not entirely sure.

Looks like a trip to Kew then!

Thanks for the info.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 17 May 2009 19:24

Also for info:

Society of Friends (Quakers) records

Records of births, marriages, deaths and burials of members of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) 1578-1841, are held at The National Archives, in series RG6. They include some records for the Channel Islands and Isle of Man.

Entries from these registers can now be found on-line on the BMD registers webpage, and downloaded for a fee.

County digests of the entries, arranged by initial index, can be searched for a fee at the Society of Friends Library, Friends' House, Euston Road, London NW1 2BJ, tel: +44 (0)20 7387 3601.

Hope this helps.