Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

FINDING THE COUSIN

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Anne

Anne Report 21 May 2009 16:31

Can anyone help me. This is a bit of a long shot. I have a copy of an article I believe from a Catholic paper about my great grandfather's escapes in WW1 (not long after this he
was actually killed in action) It mentions a colleague called Billy Richardson and later states a cousin lost a leg in action in France. I know for a fact my great grandfather's mother-in-law's maiden name was Richardson and wonder if Billy Richardson was in fact related to her and he was the one who lost his leg. Any ideas as to where to start looking would be much appreciated. The newpaper article doesn't give any details of his age. I am also sure he was not a catholic.

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 21 May 2009 16:41

any idea where he came from ?which county.
Can't see any Billy Richardson names on Ancestry WW1 records but a few William Richardsons.

Anne

Anne Report 21 May 2009 16:42

He was definitely from Salford, Lancashire

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 21 May 2009 16:53

Not found any relevant records so far. Have you got your g grandfather's CWGC commemoration. Which regiment was he in?

Anne

Anne Report 21 May 2009 16:58

Yes, he was in the 3rd Bn. Rifle Brigade. Have just had another read of this article and it states that Billy Richardson was a colleague from where he worked. I have a roll of honour for their workplace and he is down as W Richardson.

Anne

Anne Report 21 May 2009 17:05

According to the newspaper article he was in the 9th Rifle Brigade?!

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 21 May 2009 17:15

Sorry Anne, can't find him. There are a lot of men with that name, only one came up born Salford, but he was disharged as 'not being liable to be an efficient soldier' so obviously not your man.

Not all the records have survived, in particular the Service Records , many of which were burnt during the Blitz in WW2

Anne

Anne Report 21 May 2009 17:29

Thanks for trying, I did say it was a long shot, I just have a gut feeling that this is one is a relative. Something will come up one day when I least expect it.