Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Pre 1837 records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharon

Sharon Report 21 May 2009 18:12

Hi, I have managed to go back to 1715 through an excellent web site that has all baptisms, marriages & burials in the parish that my ancestors lived. The problem I have is after the first generation the same forenames are used for all children. By the time I get to 1760 -1780 Son of John for example could one of three of four. Some years the father's father is shown so that helps. Also they appeared to be having children over a long period, so can not do an educated guess on which generation of John is the father.

By the time we get to 41 census rounding of ages complicates this and most of the males seemed to have married 'Hannah'. Not all marriages took place in the parish and IGI does not have all of them.

So my question is what other information can I source to identify who is son or daughter of whom? I am in the same City - would any other records held county records etc narrow this down, or any other source people can suggest would be great.

Thanks

Sharon

Joy

Joy Report 21 May 2009 21:42

Is there an OPC for that area?

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 21 May 2009 22:19

do you want to put details on here in case someone can find something for you?

Mick in the Sticks

Mick in the Sticks Report 21 May 2009 22:25

Sharon

This is a difficult problem that we all face. Without firm evidence your best guess will still be a guess.

One ray of hope is if there is a possibility that either the bride and the groom were under 21. At this stage of history females could marry at 12 and males at 13 provided they had their parents permission. This permission was given in the form of a written sworn allegation and bond. If any of these still exist they will probably be at the County Records Office for the relevant area.

If you are lucky, it may be possible to deduce whom is whom by the parents name on the bond. Even if it turns out that such bonds exist but are not the people you are seeking, at least you are narrowing the field of possibilities down a bit.

Michael

Sharon

Sharon Report 22 May 2009 12:21

Thanks for the replies. Hadn't heard of an OPC but googled it and will look into this. Occupations / address all Clothiers of Stanningley so no help. Interesting about marriages under 21 as when I input onto my tree (not genes) an error has come up a few times as mother and child are only 16 years apart so will look at this.

Think I have managed to locate where overseer of poor records are for the parish, at least one ancestor was placed on apprenticeship indenture and so family may be mentioned. Can't imagine any wills as given poor law info but will look into .

If I do not have any joy at local family history (who hold the records according to CRO) I will come back to post up some names.

Thanks for your suggestions

Sharon