Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Evacuees list?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

:) still smiling :)

:) still smiling :) Report 23 May 2009 20:20

Hi everyone,

Thia is probably a silly question but is there a list of evacuees from ww2 and where they were sent? i am trying to trace someone who lived with my grandma's family during the war but i do not know her name, only the name of my grandmother's family and the area they lived.

Sorry if this is a very silly question and thanks for reading.
Leanne. :)

Donna

Donna Report 23 May 2009 21:21

Do you know the childs age and name and where they were from etc... Your gran must be able to remember that or is there an older relative who can remember any stories of that time.
My dad was an evacuee ,but kept in touch with the family who took him in. I have even traced the family who ran the sunday school he attended.

Speak to your family and ask lots of questions, Sometimes the smallest snippet of info can trigger a memeory giving you a clue.

There are lots of evacuee stories on the BBC WW2 WEBSITE.

:) still smiling :)

:) still smiling :) Report 23 May 2009 21:35

Thank you for your reply.

My gran was actually out working at this time and not living at home with her parents. my gran beleives her name may have been Flo Smart, but i have no idea as to age or place of birth. Although this was just a name that my gran recalled being mentioned and thought it MAY have been in relation to the young girl in question but she is by no means certain.My guess is that she was probably in her mid teens at the outbreak of war as i know she had a child very shortly after the war.

Thank you for your tips though, i will definately take a look at the BBc website.
Thank you for taking the time to reply,
Leanne.

Donna

Donna Report 23 May 2009 23:33

DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA OF THE LOCATION SHE CAME FROM eg London.
You say she may have had a child not long after the war. You would be looking around 1930 for her birth and then look at marriages or births for 1948 ish. There are quite a few Florence Smarts out there. Look on here in the search box for Florence Smart from 1900 (her mother) to 1930 could be her or a sister . Send the rtree owner a message and ask if their Flo Smart was an evacuee during ww2. All you can do is ask and theres no harm in that. People are only too happy to help if they can.

Good luck with your search.