Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Using the Trying To Find Boards

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins Report 24 May 2009 11:32

If you wish to add a Trying To Find entry for a SPECIFIC NAME:

Use the filter SURNAME box to the left, on the Trying To Find board.

Enter the SURNAME you are looking for, click on SEARCH and it will take you to the CORRECT SURNAME board, where you can enter the details.

It will stay there and anybody else researching the same Surname will find it easily at any given time…. and it bring up all other messages relating to that surname.

If you don’t use the correct Surname board then your message will eventually drop of the Trying to Find Board and you could miss out on finding a connection to the Surname you are researching.

It is acceptable to post the same message on both Surnames if you are looking for links to a husband and wife…as some people might only have the name of the woman in their family and not know about the husband!

Remember….not everybody comes on to the boards regularly so posting on the correct Surname Board is advantageous!

Mick in the Sticks

Mick in the Sticks Report 24 May 2009 12:15

Teresa

I find it easier if I am searching for a surname to click on the "Boards Summary" link and enter the surname in the keyword field. This way every message board is searched for the surname and every thread that contains the surname is listed in date order.

That way I can decide if there is any new messages that may be of interest. I usually do this about once a week on surnames I am interested in.

Michael

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins Report 24 May 2009 15:35

Mick

Yes there is that option too...That's the way I do it!

But I have noticed of late that some people (possibly newcommers to GR) are not posting under a specific Surname board...and they could be missing out on some further information that might just help them in finding a connection to an ancestor/relative.