Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

deleted posts?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 24 May 2009 21:37

Not too sure where to ask the question, but what does it mean when its says "post deleted by administrator" in an on going thread? hope i've made sense . Sue

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 24 May 2009 22:09

Hi there Susan, usually on the research boards it means that the person who entered the information decided to delete it for some reason

On Chat or General it could also be that GR delete it because it has been reported as being abusive. This can of course happen on the research boards, but more unlikely

Thelma

Thelma Report 24 May 2009 22:31

I delete about 10% of my threads,mainly because they keep appearing ,long after I have no further interest,in "my threads" .

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 25 May 2009 02:15

In actual genealogy threads, it means that someone just doesn't get the concept.

There is absolutely no reason to delete posts from threads on the genealogy boards. The threads in someone's "my threads" list don't reside on their computer, and just drift off to the bottom of the list and the archived pages of the list and sit there doing no one any harm whatsoever.

Very few such threads stay active for more than a couple of days, and those that do, well, yes, it can be a tad annoying to see them keep popping back up when one has no more to add and no more interest in them.

But one posts on these boards to help people. I have always failed to see how it helps anyone to delete what one has posted. The person asking the question has seen the info -- but it wouldn't occur to some people to copy it down right away in case it gets deleted. And what of people still offering help, who then can't see what has already been done in the thread?

It's a maddening practice, and I for one wish people would just stop doing it!!!

Susan

Susan Report 25 May 2009 06:59

Thank you all for taking the time to reply, i'm a real novice at this so am just finding my way around! Hope it wasn't because someone wrote something offensive!! Can't imagine why anyone would do such a thing. I'm finding there are so many lovely helpful people on here. I don't know how you find the info so quickly! Experience i suppose ! I for one are very grateful for your time and patience.

Sue.

Huia

Huia Report 25 May 2009 10:18

Occasionally somebody posts the same answer twice, due to either a twitchy 'trigger finger' or the fact that the site is sometimes going so slowly that the poster thinks they didnt hit the submit button so they hit it again and then it comes up twice, if you know what I mean, so they delete one of the postings.
Huia.