Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Info on marriage cert

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sue

Sue Report 26 May 2009 17:43

Can anyone please advise?

I received a marriage cert today for 1906 and the groom's father is named but not marked as deceased (which he was).

When did it become a legal requirement to state dec'd on certs or was/is it optional?

Thanks

Sue

Joy

Joy Report 26 May 2009 18:05

I cannot find any legal requirement. Perhaps they weren't asked if he was alive?

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 26 May 2009 18:22

This same question came up in Family Tree Magazine recently.

Unfortunately there is no way you can tell for certain unless the word deceased appears on the cert.

Dianne

Dianne Report 26 May 2009 19:47

Hi Sue

We got married in 2000 and prior to the wedding we were given a fakey blank wedding certificate which we had to fill in and give back to the church so that the registrar could copy from it onto the real thing on the day.

We were unsure whether to put my husband's father as deceased, and when we asked we were told it was a matter of our choice whether to put it or not.

We did and we also put both fathers trades as well and the fact that they were retired, (for the sake of future genereations researching). So our cert reads

E.G. (deceased) Retired Joiner

B.T. Retired Plumber

Dianne xx

Sue

Sue Report 26 May 2009 20:41

Thanks for the replies.

I know it's only a trvial thing but I am glad to have the answer.

Sue