Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

mill workers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ang

ang Report 29 May 2009 09:56

hello
does anybody how you would find out which mill your ancestors worked in? mine worked in leeds 1911 and before, i dont suppose records would be kept anywhere?

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 29 May 2009 10:13

Have you tried a google search with the name of your ancestors and then "leeds mills 1901-1911". (or whatever date) It might bring up a historical society or group of people who offer information about the lives and occupations of mill workers. That might give you a start.

Edit: You may need to be creative with how you word the search. Sometimes trying the words in a different order brings different results.

ang

ang Report 29 May 2009 10:15

Ill try that now....once i sit down gene finding nothing else in the house gets done!

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 29 May 2009 10:38

Dear Ang

Good Morning AuntySherlock

Try typing in:

leeds, mills, genuki in your search facility.

Tried this myself and there is all sorts of info and history.

GENUKI is free and give info about areas, occupations, boundary changes etc.

The local archive and history centre for that area will probably have information.

Best wishes.
xx

Heather

Heather Report 29 May 2009 16:35

Bear in mind also that people lived as near as possible to where they worked, often in houses owned by the mill owners themselves. So their address should give you a clue aswell

ang

ang Report 7 Jun 2009 16:33

if they lived mear mills..how would i find the name of the mills in and around leeds?

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 7 Jun 2009 17:05

Ang there would have been dozens of mills, most now gone I'm afraid.

If you found your relatives in 1901 census I would suggest you looked at all the other images for that district, maybe the enumerator has recorded them. I know when researching the village of Brockholes in west Yorks that the enumerator had very kindly written in all the mills when they came up on his round including who owned them and how many people worked there.

Also try contacting Leeds Central Library

http://www.leeds.gov.uk/Education_and_learning/Libraries.aspx

There is bound to be a local history section that you can e-mail

Good Luck