Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Stafford Gaol

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Victoria

Victoria Report 29 May 2009 10:40

I have an ancestor who worked at Stafford Gaol between 1840 and 1885 as a warden. Are there any accessable records on workers between this period, and if so where are they kept? Would really be interested to see any records regarding my ancestors work

Many Thanks
Victoria

Sam

Sam Report 29 May 2009 11:16

If anywhere, I would expect them to be at Staffordshire Records Office.

Sam x

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 29 May 2009 15:09

Dear Victoria

Here is some info for the record office.

STAFFORDSHIRE STOKE ON TRENT ARCHIVE SERVICES

COUNTY BUILDINGS

EASTGATE STREET

STAFFORD

ST16 2LZ

TEL NO: 01785 278 379

www.staffordshire.gov.uk/archives

Hope this helps.

Best wishes
xx

Staffs Col

Staffs Col Report 29 May 2009 18:40

Well records show that there were 23 executions at the jail during the period in question - so I guess its feasible he may have attended some of those.
The Governor of the goal from 15 October 1849 to 1866 was Major William Fullford RA - so might be worth checking with Records office in stafford if he left any papers that may have mentioned your relative

Victoria

Victoria Report 29 May 2009 19:55

Thank you for your reply's and the information you have left, I will try contacting the records office.