Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1911 CENCUS

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joyce

Joyce Report 30 May 2009 10:27

Hi I was just wondering if anyone has payed for a years subscription on the 1911 cencus ...I would like to know if it is worth it.
Joycem

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 30 May 2009 10:28

last I heard the 1911 was only available on pay per view or by visiting Kew

Joyce

Joyce Report 30 May 2009 10:33

Hi Claire
I was looking at it yesterday and you can pay for a year for so many credits
Joyce

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 30 May 2009 10:35

You can buy a certain amount of credits which last for a year, but you can't have unlimited access for a yearly subscription as you can with other genealogy sites.

Kath. x

Joyce

Joyce Report 30 May 2009 10:46

Hi Kath
Thanks I dont think I will bother paying up .
Joyce

PME

PME Report 30 May 2009 14:16

Its £24.95 for 240 credits, and while they are vaild for a year they are unlikely to last that long, with viewing transcriptions costing 10 and Orginals 30.

I know I'm on my second set of 240, and the first lot only lasted a few weeks, and that was me showing a lot of self restraint and double and triple checking the 'likely' candiates before paying to view.

The 1911 census though did mean I could breakdown a couple of brick walls in my tree, as I couldn't get those branches back to the 1901 census, until I had found them on the 1911 one, due to how common certain names were, it proved cheaper that ordering multipul certificates, or getting them checked, till I found the right one.

Edit: I think the 1911 census is worth paying for:

a) if you have a mystery you cannot crack and the search brings up enough information for you to believe your relatives on there

b) You maybe have an older relative whose on there, or whose parents or siblings are featured and they'd appreciate seeing it.

c) Money's not and issue, and your couriosity has got the better of you.

Otherwise, if it really wouldn't have an impact on your tree sit tight till its part of a subscription, or becaomes cheaper to view.

Although putting it in perspective £3.60 to view and orginal is cheaper than a certificate at £7.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 30 May 2009 17:18

The problem with having to buy credits, it is like any other pay per view service, with the disadvantages that go with that.

You don't always know if you have found the correct record until you pay, then if it is not you feel you have wasted your money.

Joyce

Joyce Report 3 Jun 2009 11:06

Hi
I want to thank all of you who responded to my question about the 1911 census.
I might give it a try
Regards Joyce