Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Editing tree??? Help!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sheryl

Sheryl Report 30 May 2009 19:56

I'm picking your brains again guys, sorry!

I found my family's gravestones today which confirmed that I was wrong with the siblings in one part of my tree. I want to delete 2 of the siblings but cant as they're parents are linked to thm and children of their own. Beside's deleting and re-entering literally half my tree is there a way of moving these relations to different parents?

I have tried starting a new tree and re-entering everything correctly from the start but it would seem one member can't have 2 trees.

I'm lost.

K

K Report 30 May 2009 20:02

If they have other 'siblings' to the parents then you should be able to delete them no probs. I they are the only two to the parents then could you add the correct children and remove the incorrect ones.

i have just experimented with my tree and was able to delete my sibling

Sheryl

Sheryl Report 30 May 2009 20:16

there are other 'siblings' but the two i need to delete have wives and children...it says i can't delete them as they have children. But their children have children etc etc to delete them I'd have delete half my tree!

Sheryl

Sheryl Report 30 May 2009 21:14

You know I think I might just print what I have, delete me tree and start a new one and double, triple check EVERYTHING!

I'm so annoyed with myself!!! I know Im only a beginner and I'm bound to get stuff wrong but if I knew it was so difficult to edit the tree i wouldn't have entered everything. I just find it easier when i can see it all in front of me to work with it.

are the other sites the same? I tried to make a tree on find my past and couldnt even work out how to enter stuff or view it!

Helen in Bucks

Helen in Bucks Report 30 May 2009 21:19

It is often easier to use a family tree software program on your computer to build your tree on. Then upload this to Genes. Most software programs allow you to make changes i.e. move people etc in ways Genes won't. Most also allow you to specify what information to upload i.e. you can choose not to upload any living people, or not upload any additional notes on people.

Sheryl

Sheryl Report 30 May 2009 21:28

I wasn't sure about those programmes, I thought they might be a bit of a gimmick or really complicated. I have a netbook that doesn't have a cd drive. I wonder if you can download ne online...Ill have a search. Thanks!

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 1 Jun 2009 09:43

The GR tree won't let you delete a name that has children attached, as it would mean they would float off into the ether. Family Tee programs such as FTM will let you do this then re-attach the line back to the correct person. They are most certainlty not a gimmick and most serious researcher could not do without such a program.

There is a free program called PAF that you can dowmoald from the Family Search Site. This would get around your problem of not having a drive.

Going back to your original problem, sometimes it is easier to delete what you now think is the "correct" person from your tree then change the name of the incorrect one to what it should be.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 1 Jun 2009 10:51

hi sheryl i downloaded ancestral quest 60 day free trial and found it very good to make your tree for reference purposes,you can delete edit add with no probs after the 60 days you can still use as a reference but cant add to it unless you buy which i think is not expencive