Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

how do i trace a birth cert for edith hickmott

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Victoria

Victoria Report 2 Jun 2009 09:43

on my grandads birth cert there is mothers name edith and no farthers name. edith did not marry so can't locate birth date from that. think i have found a match on ansestry searching name and area but i can't be certian it's the same one. how can i prove a match when i don't know anything about her other than the location where she lived when my grandad was born?

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 2 Jun 2009 09:58

Victoria, when and where was your grandfather born? This may help narrow down the Edith Hickmott you are after. Maybe you know how old she was when he was born? Was he the only child?
Jan

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 2 Jun 2009 10:36

International Genealogical Index - British Isles
7. Eada Louisa Hickmott - International Genealogical Index / BI
Gender: Female Christening: 09 OCT 1864 Christ Church, Folkestone, Kent, England

8. Edith Annie Hickmott - International Genealogical Index / BI
Gender: Female Christening: 02 NOV 1879 Cranbrook, Kent, England

9. Edith Emily Hickmott - International Genealogical Index / BI
Gender: Female Christening: 23 SEP 1885 Holy Trinity, Maidstone, Kent, England

10. Edith Hickmott - International Genealogical Index / BI
Gender: Female Christening: 11 FEB 1894 Bapchild, Kent, England

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 2 Jun 2009 11:19

Do you know when Edith died? You may be able to work out her approximate birth year from the age on her death reference.

Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 2 Jun 2009 11:20

When was your grandfather born? Would he be on the 1911 census?

Kath. x

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 2 Jun 2009 19:29

Lots of Edith Hickmotts on freebmd too. Some dates would certainly be helpful.

Victoria

Victoria Report 2 Jun 2009 21:45

firstly a big tthanks for trying to help as a newbie this has been a real sticking point am struggling to find much info at all.

my grandad leslie hickmott was born in 1931 at 48 vanborough hill in sub district of greenwich home address 2a woolwich rd se10. mother edith was working at 64 st james st west croyden in 1931. edith had another child brenda ( aloso illigitimate) born in 1936 (diffrent dads) leslie did not have contact with mother or sister so do not know ediths date of death or if any marrage. brenda lived in chertsy in 1990's but no contact. the person i found i think is match is edith hickmott born 1910 in croyden but don't know if or how can find link any more advice.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 2 Jun 2009 22:21

n

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 2 Jun 2009 23:13

I wonder if a check of electoral registers for the addresses you have might throw some light? They will not give ages, but just might have family members if you are lucky. I am sure someone on here will check for you.
Jan

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 2 Jun 2009 23:31

Did Edith stay in contact with Brenda?

Rose

Victoria

Victoria Report 6 Jun 2009 14:16

as far as i'm aware they kept in touch however there is no contact with brenda so can't find info that way. any more ideas?

Victoria

Victoria Report 10 Jun 2009 13:51

been ofline for a bit. just giving this a bump incase there are anyother ideas

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 10 Jun 2009 18:21

Why not trace Brenda? She might know more.

Rose

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 10 Jun 2009 19:02

If you google 48 Vanbrugh Hill you'll find it was a Hospital.

In your position I would certainly be trying to locate Brenda. It's a long job but with a fairly distinctive surname and a lot of patience you should be able to find a marriage for her by trawling the marriage indexes quarter by quarter on ancestry.

Once you've found a married name, pop a request on Records office board for an electoral roll look up.

Good luck

Victoria

Victoria Report 11 Jun 2009 13:19

hi there i've found a brenda e hickmott on ansestory. mothers maiden name hickmott which checks out as she was illigitimate, and born in croyden regesterd july aug sept 1936 so dates check out regestration county surry kent volume 2a. think the e may stand for edith no marrage as i suspected as she has no children. can't find any other details. was last known to live in chertsy london. can someone please look her up on an electoral role for me please?