Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Unreadable Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Deberah ann

Deberah ann Report 5 Jun 2009 23:56

I have spent a great time of money and time trying to to find the birth of a relative Edward Cave born around 1842 but when I try to view some of the transcripts which maybe of help they are blacked out where my relative may possibly be listed. Is there anything I can do as I am not sure where he was born and Free BMD has nothing to help!

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 6 Jun 2009 00:01

Do you have Edward Cave on any census that would help with his birthplace? Do you know who he married and where? There are a few Edward Cave births on Ancestry around 1842.

Kath. x

Deberah ann

Deberah ann Report 6 Jun 2009 00:13

Well that is the big problem. I have his marriage certificate for 1863 to harriet nee wilds in Sunderland aged 22 father Joseph, He was a mariner and is not shown on any census until 1901 when he is retired with his family and he says he is from sunderland. There is no record I can find of his birth but there is record in 1851 of a boy his age living with his mother Mary Ann in Sundeland age 9 mother unmarried aged 25 both from Isle of Wight. She married in 1858 to Edwatds Bews I have that certificate and in the 1861 she still syas she is from Isle o Wight. I have tried with the family pedigree there and they have nothing. When I search the birth records for that era the area where his name may come up there is a huge shadow over the records

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 6 Jun 2009 01:44

I presume, because he was a mariner, he was often at sea when the census was taken.
On the 91 census wife Harriet and daughters Harriet and Elizabeth are in Sunderland.
In 1881 wife Harriet and children William 17, Harriet, 11, Edward 6 and Elizabeth 6 months are in Sunderland as well as niece Harriet Chapman 14.