Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1920 divorce

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

K

K Report 6 Jun 2009 20:36

Is it possiblt to get info on a divorce which would have been 'approved' in the 1920's?

Helen in Bucks

Helen in Bucks Report 6 Jun 2009 20:54

Kattie, I posted this info on a similar thread this morning and there is another one also today. Always helpful to use the search facility on the tips board to see what you can find.

This is what it says in my genealogy encycopedia - wouldn't be without it!

Divorce certificates issued in England and Wales (since 1858 I think) can be obtained for a fee from:

The Principal Registry of the Family Division
First Avenue House
42-49 High Holborn
London
WC1V 6NP

A certified copy of the decree absolute can be provided, but if you would like to know the cause of the divorce then a copy of the decree nisi should also be ordered.

The date and information on the certificate can be used to help search local newspapers for a report of the case.

Hope that helps.

Helen

K

K Report 6 Jun 2009 21:46

Thank Helen

Have tried the search facility and not found it useful in the past
Thanks for the info, will follow it up

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 6 Jun 2009 22:33

If it was in the 1920's it should be on the National Archives website. Go to Search the Catalogue, put the surname into the search and J77 for the reference to be searched.