Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Prison Records, London

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gemerald

Gemerald Report 8 Jun 2009 16:28

I have found some of my ancestors on "old bailey online" and would like some advice on where to go next.

They were a father and two sons who were convicted of burglary in June 1893. The father was sentanced to 7 years Penal Servitude and his two sons 3 years penal servitude each.

I have found report in the Times from before their convictions but nothing afterwards.

Is there any way i could find out what prison they would have been sent to?
Would they have served their entire sentances or could they have been let out early, as is so often done now?

Just for reference the father and two sons were:
George Joseph Heeks C.1844
Herbert Valentine Joe Heeks b.1868 (known as Joe or Joseph)
Charles Heeks b.1874

The family were living at 4 Vine cottages, Clapham.

Also, George Joseph and wife had a daughter born in JFM 1894 (presumably concieved not long before he was convicted.) If her father was in prison at the time of her birth, what are the chances of her birth certificate reflecting this?

Please note, i have records of this family on all census records and have records of BMD's (I have had previous threads on here about this family) and im just looking for ideas as to how i can find out anything more about their convictions.

Thanks,
Gemma

Gemerald

Gemerald Report 8 Jun 2009 16:40

Thanks Annie, I will give that a try

Gemma