Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Further back than 1841

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Valda

Valda Report 9 Jun 2009 17:26

How do I carry on with my family tree going further back than 1841 if there are no census records?

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 9 Jun 2009 17:31

You'll be in the murky depths of parish registers and the like.

The IGI can be useful.

Some areas publish CDs of baptisms, marriages and burials - very useful if the family stayed in the area for a few generations.

People on here hold all sorts of info so it's always worth requesting lookups.

Worth checking what records are online in the County in question. Some Kent records are online, some Norfolk records are, Hertfordshire have a useful database ...

Wills are worth looking out for too.

All good fun!

Jill

Lesley M

Lesley M Report 9 Jun 2009 18:42

You could also try FreeReg (http://www.freereg.org.uk/). This has transcriptions of parish registers. Not huge coverage, but you may just get lucky.

Also try Online Parish Clerk websites (http://www.onlineparishclerks.org.uk/) Only a few counties covered, but they often contain parish register transcriptions as well.

Annina

Annina Report 10 Jun 2009 02:59

Hi Valda, after readind your thread I just Googled "Parish records" and it came up with quite a few sites to try. Theres one for Wirksworth that covers Derbyshire, and it is free. There are others too, try it and see what comes up,good luck, Nina