Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Burges(s) in Scotland

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 10 Jun 2009 12:21

Several ancestors in Linlithgow (all corinders/shoemakers) appear to be burges. One appears to be rather young - in his early twenties.

Does anyone know the rules for becoming a burges? Was it on completion of an apprenticeship/property? Was there a minimum age?

Thank you

carol58

carol58 Report 11 Jun 2009 10:25

I may have the wrong end of the stick, but if you're looking on the census and the word is in the "where born" column, then it may be "burgher", which would probably mean that they were just a native of the town or borough where they lived (burgh being Scottish for borough).

Of course if that's not what it is, then I'm afraid I haven't a clue!!

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 11 Jun 2009 11:03

No Carol a burgess is different (as far as I am aware) - in Hampshire I know it was like a town councillor but in Scotland am not sure and again think ancestor (if I have the correct one) was very young. On a marriage entry it says he was a cordiner a burgess of this burgh in this parish!

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 11 Jun 2009 11:12

Google : burgess of this burgh
This come sup:

Burgh Trading Act 1846
An Act for the Abolition of the exclusive Privilege of trading in Burghs in Scotland.

It shall be lawful for any person to carry on or deal in merchandise, and to carry on or exercise any trade or handicraft, in any burgh and elsewhere in Scotland, without being a burgess of such burgh, or a guild brother, or a member of any guild, craft, or incorporation: . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

etc etc, other info on there

Try this site
http://www.ancestor.abel.co.uk/records.html

Burgess rolls
There are rolls for Aberdeen, Canongate, Edinburgh and Glasgow and several smaller towns, including Banff, Cupar, Dunfermline, Elgin, Kirkcudbright, Musselburgh, St Andrews and Stirling.

These list the men who were admitted to the right to pursue their trade, as craftsmen or merchants, within the limits of the burgh. Many were admitted at reduced rates as sons or sons-in-law of burgesses.

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 11 Jun 2009 13:18

Thank you will have a look.

carol58

carol58 Report 11 Jun 2009 13:35

I subsequently found this info on: http://www.scan.org.uk/familyhistory/myancestor/burgess.htm

Burgesses were merchants or craftsmen who owned property in burghs and were allowed to trade in burghs free of charge. They could obtain these rights by inheritance, by marriage, by purchase, or by the gift of a burgh. Burghs were essentially urban settlements which enjoyed trading privileges from medieval times until 1832, and which regulated their own affairs to a greater or lesser extent until the abolition of Scottish burghs in 1975. By 1707 three types of burgh existed: royal burghs, burghs of regality and burghs of barony. Burghs produced characteristic forms of historical record, such as court books, guild records, and registers of deeds.

This site also gives information: http://heritage.scotsman.com/genealogyclinic/Blame-it-on-the-burgess.2782759.jp

So now I know!