Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tracing a name change

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jessie aka Maddies mate

Jessie aka Maddies mate Report 10 Jun 2009 21:04

Not sure if anyone can help with this or not

I won't use real names

A is born in the 60's
in the 70's A takes on another surname as a child
in the late 90's A takes on another surname and marries
in mid 2000's A has a child and gives maiden name as the one taken in the 70's

Now to my knowledge no offical name change took place in the 1970's, or again in the late 1990's, and neither was this reverted back to the 1970's surname when the child was born.

Hope that makes sense................

What I need to know is how I could check for certain to see if the surname changes were done offically or not

Thanks in advance

Heather

Heather Report 10 Jun 2009 21:05

Anyone can change their name without the need for solicitors - you just tell everyone this is my name and as long as its not done for illegal purposes then thats that.

Jessie aka Maddies mate

Jessie aka Maddies mate Report 10 Jun 2009 21:24

Thanks

So would a passport be legal if A got passports with the surname that were never made offical?

And is the marriage legal if A used a surname that they were not known as just for the service ?

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 10 Jun 2009 22:10

Can't be certain about the passport but about three years ago my daughter wanted a middle name. Her middle name was added by deed poll and for records to be amended we had to provide a copy of the certified deed. We know that when her passport has to be renewed we will have to provide a copy of her deed.

Chris

mgnv

mgnv Report 11 Jun 2009 07:51

It's clear that the real problem arises when you need to show a qualification acquired under your old name really belongs to you, whether it's your British parentage, your plumber's ticket, your pilot's licence or your PhD in astrophysics, and this is where it helps to have a piece of paper, whether it's a deed poll, a page from the London Gazette, or even a page from the Wigan Observer personal ads.