Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Obtaining 1912 Will

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 11 Jun 2009 00:31

Just wondering how I can get a copy of a 1912 Will. I have the details of death in Dec 1/4 1912 in Lewisham, England. The reason I would like a copy of this Will is to find more information about a missing daughter, who I know was still alive at this time, but could possible have married. Will is for Adam Fountain. I have found and obtained copies for Family Wills from an earlier time, but can't seem to find this one or one I want from 1924.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated, Sue from NZ

Susan

Susan Report 11 Jun 2009 01:13

Thanks DET, have tried the first 2, but not the last so will have a go.
Many thanks, Sue from NZ

Angela

Angela Report 11 Jun 2009 09:05

Go to:

www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/cms/1226.htm

and it tells you all you need to know.

If you can get to First Avenue House in Holborn, London you can get a copy from there for £5. If you need to order by post it's from the sub-registry in York - address on the website - I think it's still £5.

This is for wills from 1858 to the present.

Angela

Susan

Susan Report 11 Jun 2009 11:08

Thanks for that Angela, I'll have a try
Sue From NZ

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 11 Jun 2009 13:56

Hi Sue

Whose will are you looking for in 1924?

I may be going to a records office in the near future and the probate indices which would tell you where and when a will was proved (which may not be the year of death) are held on fiche for the whole country and all probate offices.

Susan

Susan Report 11 Jun 2009 22:22

Thank you so much for the offer Lancashire Ann,

Adam Fountain
birth: abt 1835 (baptised Feb 1835)
Death: 29-10-1912
Year of Registration: 1912
Age at Death: 77
District: Lewisham
County: Greater London, Kent, London
Volume; 1d
Page: 1151
I imagine Probate was issued in 1913, but could've been at the end of the 1912 year.
The other Will is
FREDERIC FOUNTAIN
b: 1838
Death: 1924
District: Greenwich
Volume: 1d
Page: 816

The main reason I'm trying to obtain the wills is to try and track down a MARY CAROLINE FOUNTAIN, who was a daughter from ADAM'S 2nd marriage (Neice of Frederic and from a newspaper report we know she was left money in his will). I have Mary on 1901 Census living in York, but can't find a death and the marriage I thought may have been her wasn't. I thought if she had married her married name may have been mentioned in the Wills.
I have some other possible marriages, but living down under our exchange rate makes it very! expensive ordering too many certificates, even though the search fee if they're incorrect is less than obtaining a cert.
Just please don't go to too much trouble over it for me as I know how valuable research time is.
Thanks so much, Sue from NZ

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 12 Jun 2009 20:28

probate details sent to Susan by pm

Susan

Susan Report 13 Jun 2009 03:13

Lancashireann you are a real treasure, thank you
Sue from NZ