Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriage Certificates

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ron

Ron Report 13 Jun 2009 21:27

Hi, I ordered a marriage certificate dating back to 1870 which i found on the marriage register list but i recieved a message from the general register offce saying there was no trace of it. Can anyone give me any ideas to why there is no trace of it?
thankyou

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 13 Jun 2009 21:36

Hi Ron, Lots of questions I'm afraid.

* Have you checked you gave the correct details and GRO numbers?
* Have you tried researching for the partner and checking you come out with the same details as previously?

If you care to give us their names and yr of marriage we might be able to help you.

Regards, Lou

Ron

Ron Report 13 Jun 2009 21:44

Hi, yes i definately put in the correct details. Strangely though when i putin the other name to confirm it came back with the same surname but different first name.

Ellen/Helen HINKLEY
William WHITE 1870 April/May/June

thankyou

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 13 Jun 2009 22:00

Hi Ron

Right here goes I think this is the problem. on Free Bmd I've found a
Helen Hinkley June Q 1870 Portsea I 2b 646 BUT the partner was either James White or William Hayes; So I think this is your problem It should be James and not William, unless you have the worng marriage yr;

I have to log off now, sorry.

Ron

Ron Report 13 Jun 2009 22:01

Hi yes thats the one.
Is it possible that James could have been his middle name?

Helen in Bucks

Helen in Bucks Report 13 Jun 2009 22:03

when ordering marriage certs, if you are not absolutely sure of names of both parties, then I think you only need to put in either the grooms or brides name and the ref and they will still send you the cert

also if you are looking on freebmd for the ref there is always a chance that it has been mistranscribed, if you click on the picture of a pair of specs you can click through and look at the original used to transcribe the info and double check that the page ref is correct