Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Photos

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kelly

Kelly Report 16 Jun 2009 15:51

Hi all,

My Nan gave me a tonne of old family photos and for about half of them, she isn't able to identify who the people are. Some are professional and have the name of the photographer on the back. Does anyone know of any websites to help identify age of photos so I may be able to make educated guesses as to who these people are!! She's the oldest member of the family so there isn't anyone else to ask.

Any ideas would be gratefully received!

Many thanks,
Kelly

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 16 Jun 2009 16:32

I think your best bet is to ask other family members if they can identify them, especially elderly relatives.

Oops! Sorry, another senior moment, you said your nan was the oldest family member and there's no-one else to ask. I must start reading the query fully before I respond!

LizRees

LizRees Report 16 Jun 2009 16:33

Hi Kelly

I had a similar challenge with a bag of old photos, but am amazed to say that I have now found out 80% of them, mainly through contacts from GR and Ancestry.

I found this very useful for dating photos:-

http://freepages.family.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~victorianphotographs/index.htm

Also, to help you with the style of clothes, this lady gives silhouettes of the fashions from Victorian times onward:-
http://www.fashion-era.com/C20th_costume_history/1900_silhouettes_1.htm

Also Google Francis Frith's website for old photos of places - you can check out people's memories and through this I have also tracked down some relatives.

Good luck
Liz

nuttybongo

nuttybongo Report 17 Jun 2009 15:32

hi there,
found this site, you register for free. Called whatsthatpicture. You can add as many pictures as you like, then people look at them and i have been lucky with a football photograph from the 30s and someone has named them.
its worth a go.