Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anyone know about history Post Office?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Stevendeg

Stevendeg Report 21 Jun 2009 04:03

I am trying to find some information about a woman who worked in Post Office. Did anyone register for Post Office? I would be interested to get a copy of her application.

Mary Allen was working for Edward Gale in Caversham from censuses 1871 to 1891. I am trying to find out what happened of her after 1891.

She was a single and I think she has a baby who was my great grandmother. In 1889 the baby was fostered.

Thanks, Steven.

Staffs Col

Staffs Col Report 21 Jun 2009 08:04

The best place to start is at the Post Office Heritage website which has oodles of information:

http://postalheritage.org.uk/visiting/familyhistory/?searchterm=family research

Stevendeg

Stevendeg Report 22 Jun 2009 03:08

Many thanks for the website. I have bookmarked it. It is useful.

Staffs Col

Staffs Col Report 22 Jun 2009 16:19

Hi Steven,

Found out some further information for you. Until 1969 the Post Office was part of the British Civil Service (I knew that bit) and appointments were published in the London Gazette (didnt know that bit and that even minor roles like postmen and telephonists were published).
Searching is free at:
www.gazettes-online.co.uk
Another possibility is having a look at the Historical Directories website at:
http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/index.asp
Not sure when the Official Secrets Act came into force but I do know that all Post Office employees had to sign it so another avenue for you to explore.
Good Luck!

Stevendeg

Stevendeg Report 24 Jun 2009 11:02

Hi Staffordshire Col, many thanks for the two webiste addresses. I have found Edward Gale in 1895 in one of these websites.

Cheers, Steven.