Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Lightermen photo query..

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling

Rambling Report 22 Jun 2009 17:01

if you have Thames lightermen/ watermen in family and / or know the Chiswick area of the Thames and west / east of there on river, could you take a look at photo I have added to photo page on here please. Just in case someone recognises either the location or one of their rellies!

Rose x

J* Near M3.Jct4

J* Near M3.Jct4 Report 23 Jun 2009 10:03

N

Heather

Heather Report 23 Jun 2009 12:18

You may want to add this to the Dockland Ancestors site?

Rambling

Rambling Report 23 Jun 2009 13:33

Thanks Heather I was looking on there late last night ,but too tired to do it then so will have a crack at it later today :)

It was you who got me started off with my lightermen and watermen details in 2006 so thankyou once again for that ...the tree has grown considerably since then :)

xx

Heather

Heather Report 23 Jun 2009 16:03

Pleased to have encouraged you. What a bonus when you have them isnt it - mine are into hundreds now because they interbreed dont they!

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 23 Jun 2009 17:49

Hi Rambling Rose,

My brother, father and uncle are lightermen/watermen, and my g. grandfather and gg grandfather were dock workers. My husband's grandfather was also a lighterman. I didn't know there was a specific website for this, could you give me some info as my dad would be really interested to see it?

Many thanks
Jenny M

Rambling

Rambling Report 23 Jun 2009 19:20

Jennifer here are a couple of sites

http://www.parishregister.com/

http://www.watermenshall.org/history-main/

Rambling

Rambling Report 23 Jun 2009 19:24

Karen if you go to 'Homepage' , it says 'community' on left of screen, just below that are some video shots 'a selection of this months videos'... below that is some text 'go to our new video page...click here' Click there!

Now to right of screen you will see Videos, beneath that the photo section :)

xx

Rambling

Rambling Report 23 Jun 2009 20:11

Karen, I don't think you can. I sent Julie an email attachment of it as she wanted to see it larger. I can do the same if you trust me with your email.

rose xx

kay

kay Report 24 Jun 2009 10:06

Karen
If you click on the actual photo,it will enlarge.
Kay

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 26 Jun 2009 05:01

Rose, I have looked at your picture and wonder if the bridge is the old Kew Bridge?
The Kew Bridge of today was built in 1903 to replace the original which dated from 18-something but was too narrow to cope with the amount of traffic.
I will keep looking to see if there are old photo's of other bridges in that area, your photo doesn't look like any of the bridges I know in that area and the background seems to fit with being around Kew Bridge (though not quite as it looks today).

Kathleen

J* Near M3.Jct4

J* Near M3.Jct4 Report 26 Jun 2009 08:49

N