Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Public House query 1870's update; found the name

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 22 Jun 2009 19:55

Does anyone know where I can search for info on public houses in Lancashire please?

Thanks in advance, Regards, Lou

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 23 Jun 2009 21:02

Hi Flo, Yes I tried that with no luck, It only gives me info on the public houses of today. I want to know about past landlords and how long they resided at the pub. Never mind. Thanks for offering the tip though, it's much appreciated.

Regards, Lou

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Jun 2009 23:35

For 1881 - just google 1881 pubs. May give you some idea.
It has most pubs but not Winchester!! :o(

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 24 Jun 2009 14:43

Hi Elaine, Bob and Maggie,

Thank you so much for your wonderfull tips. It never occured to me to add + sign, so thanks for that tip Bob.

It appears that I should try lots of different variations of the subject, and have more patience. I will do as you all suggest, thanks.

Thanks again,
Regards, Lou

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 24 Jun 2009 21:22

Hi Everyone,

It's been suggested I add more info to my thread. Unfortunatley I don't have much, but this is what I do have.

The address on the birth certificate was 115 Upper Medlock Street, Manchester, in the Parish of Chorlton, father's occupation "Beer House Keeper" the year was 1896

By 1901 he had changed occupation.

I have googled as suggested and so far had no luck, although I did find a site which shows the current street and it looks as if its been re-generated, with new houses and open land.

Regards, Lou

Paul

Paul Report 24 Jun 2009 22:16

try trade directories on the following free site:
http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/

~Looby Loo~

~Looby Loo~ Report 26 Jun 2009 21:37

Hi All,

Many many thanks to those who offered help, tips and advice.

One very kind member has given me the name of the pub and details of where I can obtain a book relating to the pubs in the area.

So many many thanks to you all and to you Brenda
All your advice and help is very much appreciated.

Regards, Lou