Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Contact an Ancestry member? Succeeded!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 24 Jun 2009 22:47

Would anyone be really kind and contact an Ancestry member for me? I don't have an Ancestry subscription.

I tried Googling: "David Churchill" Crewkerne and it came up with an extract from an Ancestry board for Wheadon family. The lady's name is Helen Steller and she says she has a copy of William Wheadon's will. I would really like to know where she got it so that I could get a copy.
I can't stay on here any longer tonight, but will check tomorrow - I hope this isn't too cheeky a request - I'm sure you will put me right if it is!

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 24 Jun 2009 23:30

From Ancestry

Posted: 2 Jan 2009 9:41AM GMT
Hello, my name is Helen Steller and I live in New South Wales, Australia. I am descended from John SLOCOMBE and Elizabeth WHEADON of the parish of Huntspill Somerset. I have been researching my family history for 35 years, and have only just recently clarified this area of my research.

I have seen many claims that Elizabeth WHEADON, the first wife of John SLOCOMBE, and Ann WHEADON, the second wife of John SLOCOMBE, were the daughters of William WHEADON and Mary WINGET of Crewkerne. It is claimed that Elizabeth was baptised on 24 Apr 1763 at Crewkerne and Ann was baptised on 3 Mar 1772 at Crewkerne.

I now have a copy of the will of William WHEADON (yeoman, buried 27 Feb 1810 at Crewkerne) and it gives the following relationships.

1. brother Robert WHEADON
2. daughter Mary WHEADON wife of Robert WHEADON
3. grandson Robert WHEADON son of daughter Mary WHEADON
4. daughter Martha WHEADON
5. daughter Elizabeth PRINCE wife of Hugh PRINCE
6. daughter Susanna CHURCHILL wife of David CHURCHILL
7. daughter Phillis PALMER wife of George PALMER
8. grand children Henry, Mary and John BOAMONT
9. grand children Rachel, Frances, Phillis and William WHEADON children of son Robert WHEADON

The family details are as follows:-

William WHEADON
bap 3 Mar 1730 Crewkerne son of William (I have not sighted this source)
buried 27 Feb 1810 Crewkerne aged 80 yrs
married 26 Dec 1754 Crewkerne
Phillis WILLCE
born abt 1734
buried 18 Dec 1809 Crewkerne aged 75 yrs

children: (all baptisms, burials and marriages at Crewkerne unless stated otherwise)
Mary bap 28 Nov 1755 mar 25 Aug 1778 Robert WHEADON (bap 22 Apr 1753 son of Edward & Elizabeth WHEADON)
Robert bap 31 Jul 1757 buried 11 Dec 1803 mar Elizabeth
Susanna bap 2 Mar 1760 buried 5 Jun 1810 mar 7 Oct 1783 David CHURCHILL
Sarah bap 4 Oct 1761
Elizabeth bap 24 Apr 1763 mar 26 Feb 1797 London St Botolph without Aldersgate Hugh PRINCE
Phillis bap 18 May 1766 mar 25 May 1790 Misterton George PALMER
Martha bap 5 Jun 1770 buried 12 Dec 1836 mar 14 Aug 1810 Jeremiah READER
Ann bap 3 Mar 1772 buried 18 Apr 1803 mar 8 Feb 1791 Henry BEAMONT
Rachel bap 30 Apr 1777

So, Elizabeth and Ann WHEADON may have been the daughters of William WHEADON and Mary WINGET, but they certainly were not the daughters of William WHEADON and Phillis WILLCE of Crewkerne.

At the moment I am leaning very strongly to the theory that they were the daughters of John WHEDON and Mary HARRIS of Othery or Middlezoy. I am still researching this family.

Just posting the link so I can find it again

http://boards.ancestry.com.au/surnames.wheadon/49/mb.ashx

Not sure if my membership on Ancestry allows me to contact her as I tried the "Contact" and it comes up with Australian package deals. She has visited the site in the last week.

Maureen

UPDATED
Just tried through the UK site and it is possible to send a message to Helen.

Let me know if you want me to try and send a message.

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 25 Jun 2009 01:24

The .co.uk address is:

http://boards.ancestry.co.uk/surnames.wheadon/49/mb.ashx

I tried and I can contact her easily and would be glad to but we should work out the roster first. ;)

Yeek, time zones. Christine is a basic Brit? GB is in Australia. I'm in Canada. Whoever is around when Christine is (including anybody else who shows up), go ahead!

Christine, just PM an email address to whoever you pick and s/he can send it to Helen via Ancestry.

Golfman

Golfman Report 25 Jun 2009 01:27

You can get a copy of this will at the National Archives website.

It is downloadable and will cost you £3-50

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 25 Jun 2009 08:43

Hi JaneyCanuck,

I am also located in GB.

The link I posted came up when googling for the info - it showed the Australian site.

Lets see what happens when Christine come back to the thread.

Maureen

Christine

Christine Report 25 Jun 2009 09:15

Hi

Once again GR members have come up trumps! You are all very kind. I am PM ing Glitterbaby because I would like to correspond with this lady any way and don't want anyone to lose sleep over it! Thankyou for your interest Janeycanuck.

Brandyman, I will certainly have a go at The National Archives - £3.50 sounds like a bargain!

Thelma

Thelma Report 25 Jun 2009 10:40

You may be surprised to know that a large part of Ancestry is free.
It is the same as Rootsweb,a free site.
Here is the Wheadon message board.Just join to communicate.

http://boards.rootsweb.com/surnames.wheadon/mb.ashx
WHEADON Family of Crewkerne Somerset England HSteller 0 2 Jan 2009

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 25 Jun 2009 12:27

Hi Christine,

Have sent a message to Helen.

Fingers crossed you get a reply.

Maureen

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 25 Jun 2009 16:55

GB - I knew that, didn't I. ;) And I've had that happen too, some other Ancestry come up in google searches.

And Jim's right -- you can sign up for a free membership at Ancestry (not the free trial before paying, a purely free one) that lets you post on the boards.

Someone who couldn't get the contact function through census record corrections to work for contacting me managed to find a post I'd made on a board a couple of years earlier and replied to me there instead, and I got notice of that reply I believe. Lucky she did -- she turned out to be the only descendant I've ever had contact with (other than my own direct line) who belongs to my weird Hill/Monck gr-grfather's family!

Christine

Christine Report 25 Jun 2009 20:21

Update:
I now have a copy of the will, thanks to Brandyman - all I have to do now is figure out what it says!

Courtesy of Glitterbaby, a message has been sent to the lady in Australia, who is obviously much further on than me in this, and I am hoping to "speak" to her soon.

I did try and send her a message myself through Ancestry, before posting on here, but got presented with their page inviting me to send them some money first. I will try again to find the free part of their site - I think I may have tried this a year or so ago, and started to put my tree on it. After adding a couple of generations it gradually ground to a halt and a message came up saying "a script in this movie is causing a problem with your computer" . It quite put me off and I have stuck with GR since. Perhaps I was just unlucky!

Thank you friends!

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 25 Jun 2009 20:53

The scripts at Ancestry are horrific. They regularly crash my Firefox, even though I use NoScript to block as much of that noise as possible without making the site non-functional.

If you click on the Subscribe link in the upper right of an Ancestry page, I think you get the option to sign up for a free membership. The problem for me is that in order to do that, I have to sign out and don't want to. ;)

Ah, but I do have an unpaid membership at Ancestry.ca that I'm signed in under, and it's letting me reply to messages there. So do try signing up for a free membership at .co.uk and you should be able to reply in that thread -- not send her a PM, I think, but post a reply in the thread.

Christine

Christine Report 25 Jun 2009 21:14

Thanks, I'll give it a go!

Thelma

Thelma Report 25 Jun 2009 23:04

Maybe I should explain my self better.
Go to this site:-
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/
click "sign in"
This will take you to:-
Register today! It's free and only takes a minute.
You will then have a free login which also works on Ancestry.
You will access the same database minus the pay element.

Christine

Christine Report 26 Jun 2009 14:56

Thank you Jim

I think I was at fault for not reading it properly - I was so overwhelmed by all the helpfulness, I didn't take it in properly. I will do just what you say!

7 pm Friday: Have done just that with success, thank you. Nice to have other avenues open!

Christine

Christine Report 7 Jul 2009 10:30

Hello Glitterbaby

I wanted to thank you again for putting me in touch with Helen Steller in Australia. She has just replied to me, and it looks as if she may have quite a bit of information to share, so you did me a very big favour!

Thanks to Brandyman I was able to find a copy of the will for myself, and I am now ploughing through it.

Bless GR members!