Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

REGISTRATION OF TWINS

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 29 Jun 2009 17:17

Does anyone know if it would say on a b/cert if the child in question was one of a twin? I have 2 births in the same quarter Sept. 1854 same surname and same district and same page no. I appreciate they could be cousins, but would it say on cert. if it was twins or would i need to order both certs. to find out?

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 29 Jun 2009 17:30

Are the names similar? Beware if so, could be a mis-transcription! As it's 1854, have you been able to find them on census reports?
jan

Linda

Linda Report 29 Jun 2009 17:40

The names are Edward and Herbert Driver so not too similar. Have checked 1861 census and only Edwin (often interchanged with Edward in my family) is shown aged 6.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 29 Jun 2009 17:49

You don't give the area, but there are a couple of deaths for Herbert Driver on freebmd:

Deaths Jun 1855 (>99%)
Driver Herbert Whitechapel 1c _72
Driver Herbert Merthyr T 11a 211

Jan

Linda

Linda Report 29 Jun 2009 18:13

Hi Jan, Thanks, the area is Merthyr Tydfil so i will take the last one please!

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 29 Jun 2009 22:15

When I was pondering the same type of question, ie. whether a Daniel and John born in 1862 were twins, I wrote to Hereford Register office for the birth certificate of one of them and mentioned that I thought he may be a twin ( from GRO index numbers)
It arrived ( showing time of birth ) and a note from the office saying
N.B.Daniel and John were twins.

How helpful !

Gwyn

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 29 Jun 2009 22:15

When I was pondering the same type of question, ie. whether a Daniel and John born in 1862 were twins, I wrote to Hereford Register office for the birth certificate of one of them and mentioned that I thought he may be a twin ( from GRO index numbers)
It arrived ( showing time of birth ) and a note from the office saying
N.B.Daniel and John were twins.

How helpful !

Gwyn

Linda

Linda Report 29 Jun 2009 23:25

Thanks Jonesy. I have just checked the cert. again and had not noticed before but it does give a time of 5.10 am in between the date and the address. How dumb do i feel now?!

Linda in the Midlands

Linda in the Midlands Report 30 Jun 2009 09:13

Remember not all certs with time on means twins. I have several from the same area that all have times on and none of them are twins. Over zealous registrar I think :)

Linda

Linda Report 30 Jun 2009 10:39

Thanks Linda, i think im going to have to order the death cert. of Herbert, located by Janet, who is the child missing on the later census to be certain. Will keep you all posted. Linda

Linda

Linda Report 9 Jul 2009 15:03

Following on from my thread about the registration of twins, and the fact the b/cert for Edward i had indicated a time of birth as well as a date of birth. There was another child born to Daniel and Harriett Driver in July 1854 and I now have the death cert. for the other child, Herbert, who died in April aged 8 months of convulsions. So, i think the fact there was a time of birth shown on the b/cert as well, may be an indication for us all to look out for a multiple births.

Linda

Linda Report 9 Jul 2009 16:14

Thanks Gaynor.

GRMarilyn

GRMarilyn Report 10 Jul 2009 03:13

Twins will always have the same registration number its the only way you can tell ...also the time of birth.
It does not say I'm a twin on my birth Cert.
And we have a different day 19th & 20th before midnight and after. (4hrs 10mins.)
This coming from a TWIN.....

Multiples must be the same I guess.