Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Thanks to everyone who has helped in the past.Wher

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 30 Jun 2009 11:39

I have been tracing my family tree since 2000 when I retired.I have always tried to buy birth,marriage and death certificates.I have Census information using ancestry.co in the library and a lot from the kind people on other sites on Community.
Both of our familes moved from rural sites to industrial areas.Mine moved from Brecon,Liandaff,cyffig,Pembrokeshire and Carmarthenshire.They moved to Merthyr Tydfil.Names include Morgan'Williams Morris and Evans.
My wife has had more luck tracing hers.
We check our hot matches very cafefully.Some people have been absolutely fantastic.Some we meet on a regular basis and have been able to swop photographs,family bible informationand much more.Some never replied.
Even with all this help we still have some gaps.
Question is do we go to ancestry.co or Find my past or do we subscribe to one or more welsh ancestry sites. Are any of them as helpful as youve been? Or do we just sit tight and hope someone else will join and help to fill some gaps?

John

John Report 30 Jun 2009 13:15

Thanks Annie
That information is very helpful.

stargazer

stargazer Report 30 Jun 2009 13:50

Hi John,

I'm in Aberdare and have been researching my husband's Welsh roots for several years now. My advice to you would be to use certificates and the census to get back as far as possible and then join the Glamorgan FHS. I've met several members at the RO and they're knowledgable and friendly.

The records office in Cardiff is also brilliant for parish registers etc although many non-conformist registers "disappeared" when Chapels closed. The last time I was there the office was a short walk from Cathays station and the train cost less than parking however the office is due to move soon to a new building so check their website.

Good luck
Jan

John

John Report 1 Jul 2009 08:48

Thanks for all that information.
We live near Bristol and use public transport where ever possible.
A trip by train to Cardiff could well plug some gaps.
Von you mentionned Curious Fox.How does that work?
I have joined Alan Georges Merthyr Tydfil site and posted on boards there but no luck so far.