Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Inquest in 1865

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Debbie

Debbie Report 1 Jul 2009 15:57

I have just received the death cert for William Allum, who I think was probably my ancestor. However (apart from the name and age) there is no information on the certificate which would confirm his identity. His occupation is "A Plate Layer" but he is shown as a labourer on the census and a child's birth cert. He died on 4th Oct 1865 in University College Hospital following the amputation of a leg. The informant description is "Information received from Edwin Lankester Coroner for Middlesex. Inquest held 6th October 1865".

Does anyone know of an online source where I might find further info? I have tried Googling and cannot find anything on Ancestry.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 1 Jul 2009 16:16

Hi Debbie - do you know his birth year? There are a number of William Allum's in Middlesex on the census

Debbie

Debbie Report 1 Jul 2009 16:30

Thank you both. The cause of death is "Fracture & Confusion of leg & foot Amputation". I know there was a high rate of deaths following amputation. I always thought this was due to infection.

The William Allum in question was born in 1816 in Wokinham, Berkshire. I know he died between 1861 & 1871. In 1861 he was living in Dorset Cottage, Kensal Road, Chelsea. In 1871 his wife is shown as a widow. This was the only death I could find that seemed likely.

Kate

Kate Report 1 Jul 2009 20:51

That "confusion" on the certificate might actually be "contusion", which is another word for bruising (I think). As you say, he could have died from infection afterwards, or even shock or blood loss, but it may be that "amputation" was thought by the informant to be a sufficient explanation for the cause of death so they didn't go into further details.

Depending on who registered the death, they might have misinterpreted his name as "Allan", "Allen", "Allam" or other variants, too.

If there was an inquest, it could be that his amputation resulted from an injury caused by an accident (say, at work) and it had to be established whether his employers (or whoever) were liable.

Debbie

Debbie Report 1 Jul 2009 21:08

Thank you Kate. The writing on the cert is fairly loopy and therefore difficult to read. I realise now it must have been contusion. I have looked it up in the dictionary and it does mean bruising.

It looks as if there is no easy way of finding info on an inquest so it seems I shall have to wait for a later opportunity. With family history it seems that there is always something else one can do.

Debbie