Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

mistake on birth certificate ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Diane

Diane Report 1 Jul 2009 16:56

Hi, I have a puzzle that I have put down to a mistake on a birth certificate. Is this common?
1861 census shows William Armitage, Sarah Armitage and Susan Hannah Armitage.occupation of William - Wire Drawer. Living in Hartshead. West Yorkshire. Susan Hannah is daughter.
1871 census shows Sarah Walker, Joseph Walker and Susan Hannah Walker. Mirfield West Yorkshire.Susan Hannah is daughter.

I have the birth cerificate of Susan Hannah Armitage. Father is William Armitage, - occupation wire drawer.mother is Sally Armitage formerly Hardy. Born 20.12.1857, registered 20.01.1858.

I have the marriage cert of Joseph Walker and Sarah Armitage (widow) fathers name Tom Hardy 13.08.1864 Mirfield.

There is no trace of a Sally Hardy marrying a William Armitage but there is a record of Sarah Hardy marrying William Armitage, dewsbury Sept 1854.Births would be prior to 1841 so cant find them.

Could the birth certificate be a mis-type (it is typed) and Sally is actually Sarah ?

Hope this makes sense

Di

Beejay

Beejay Report 1 Jul 2009 17:05

Hi Diane

Sally is a pet name for Sarah

Diane

Diane Report 1 Jul 2009 17:12

I have rung the registrar office and their is no mistake, it is definately Sally, however they did let slip that on the same page there are 2 marriages, one for Sally Hardy and one for a Sarah Hardy, I have had this before in my tree where they had used the wrong name and they had to issue a new cert. Everything else fits so I am going with my theory that Sally and Sarah Hardy are the same person. Otherwise I cant work it out "!!!

Thanks for the replies

Di

Thistledown

Thistledown Report 1 Jul 2009 20:22

Hi Diana,
my mothers name is Sarah and she is called Sally.
I have a cert where the name is Margaret and on childrens certs where husband registered births he has Maggie as mother, he also registered childrens names as Maggie (Margaret) and Lizzie (Elizabeth) i wonder what his wife said to him when she saw certs.
Lily.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 1 Jul 2009 20:45

From the International Genealogical Index on www.familysearch.org ..... the Mormon site

This is an extracted record taken from the actual parish record, and seems to me to solve your problem!!

Susan Hannah Armitage Pedigree
Female

Event(s):
Birth:
Christening: 31 JAN 1858 Mirfield, Yorkshire, England

Death:
Burial:

Parents:
Father: William Armitage Family
Mother: Sarah Armitage

--------
Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the birth or christening date.

----------
Source Information:
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:
C043025 Film

I would guess that Sally was her nickname, and whoever registered the birth (was it her or someone else???) just gave her everyday name to the registrar instead of her "Sunday" name!

sylvia

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 1 Jul 2009 20:48

You could look on familysearch to see if you can find Sarah Hardy's birth/baptism

It's a free site ....... just make sure that you determine whether a record is extracted or submitted.

Extracted records have been taken from actual records

Submitted records have been sent in by someone, usually an LDS church member, and are not to be trusted as there is rarely any backing documentation. Take such records under advisement until you can find confirmation of them

sylvia

Diane

Diane Report 4 Jul 2009 09:41

Thanks Sylvia, your information is a geat help.

Much appreciated

Diane

Joy

Joy Report 4 Jul 2009 10:17

I have seen Sarah and Sally being interchangeable.