Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1901 Scottish Census missing Hannah Fenton

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AmazingGrace08

AmazingGrace08 Report 3 Jul 2009 05:35

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how I can search for a relative that I cannot locate in the 1901 Scottish census. I am looking for a Hannah Smith Fenton who was born in 1868 in Montrose, Angus. In 1901 Hannah would have been 33 years old.

I have found her in 1871, 1881, 1891 Scottish Cenus returns and she later died in 1955.

I have located all her siblings and her mother in 1901, they were all married and had families and Hannah is not with them.

Hannah is the only one who never married and was employed in a Flax Mill Factory. All of the family including Hannah remained in Montrose with the exception of a brother who moved to Glasgow and I have traced him all the way through also.

Hannah died at the same address in which she had lived most of her life, so I am not sure why I cannot locate her on the census returns. I have checked Ancestry and Scotland's People and no results there. I've tried the name Anna insted of Hannah, just the letter H, just the name Smith, lots of combinations in case it had been transcribed incorrectly but there does not seem to be anything!

Not sure if anyone else has had this kind of a situation where a person is there for decades, then not, then back again!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Penny

Penny Report 3 Jul 2009 07:05

does she always say born Montrose ir does it vary slightly?

Carole

Carole Report 3 Jul 2009 07:10

morning

through all the census for scotland there was only one hannah fenton until the 01 when there were three. the most likely one was in 1877 who was boarding in a glasgow subdistrict at 57 knox st, deniston the place of birth stated was montrose. you mentioned her brother george went to live in glasgow. perhaps it is her yob which was mis-transcribed. have a look and see what you think. i have looked at the actual census page now on scotlands people rather than ancestry. on the former the let you see the image. and it def says her age was 24. but she is single and does come from the correct area. perhaps the head of the house did not know how old she was and just gave an approximation.

if you wold like you can send me a pm and i will send you a copy of the page by e

kind regards

carole

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Jul 2009 07:10

did she own her house???

It is possible that if she was a lodger or boarder in a house that her name may have been mistranscribed (or mis-entered by the original enumerator) under the name of the house owner. This is quite a common happening in all censuses.

Try entering her forename, her birth year +/5 years, place of birth and place of residence, and see if you can come up with anything that way.

Could she possibly have been away on the night of the census .......... staying with a family member or friend elsewhere for example?

sylvia

AmazingGrace08

AmazingGrace08 Report 5 Jul 2009 23:56

Hi thank you all for your responses.

I'll address your points that you have made:

Minnie, all the census returns say she was born in Montrose.

Carole, thanks for searching. I don't think that that Hannah would be the same person as the one you found, as her occupation always seemed to be in the Flax Mills, up until her death. It would have perhaps been a big change to become a book binder. The age would be out 9 years also. I know the age is nothing to go on, but that might be too much of a gap.

Sylvia, I don't think she was a home owner as she always lived in the property her parents and grandparents had lived in, up until her death. The whole family seemed to live in the one place over the years.

I'll have a search theway you suggested and see what comes up again, although they are the searches I have been doing. It is quite possibl she was away somewhere on thenight of the census and I may never find out, it's just one of those little things that would have been good to solve!

Thanks everyone!