Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Which Ancestry site?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 4 Jul 2009 15:50

Thinking of taking the free 14 day trial with Ancestry, but there is the .co.uk one and also a .com one.............
Are they both the same?
What subscription package would you recommend after the trial?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 4 Jul 2009 15:57

Hi
Well if your families were mostly born and lived in the UK then Ancestry.co.uk is the one you need.
depending on what you want after the free trial then you will have to weigh up which is the most advantageous for you ,for example if you only want one parish record from Pallots then its a very costly sub for just one record.#
I would certainly take the free trial and trawl away as much as you possibly can within that period.

Susan

Susan Report 4 Jul 2009 16:00

Oh right, the .com one is outside of the UK........
Thanks that's very helpful

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 4 Jul 2009 16:00

But if you do take the free trial, and dont wish to continue, make sure you cancel before the trial period ends, otherwise you will pay for the year

George

Deanna

Deanna Report 4 Jul 2009 17:05

Once you have made your decision, I have to tell you that it is worth every penny.
I started with the 'lower' price and soon upgraded. Very helpful site... I find anyway.
I have only one complaint, they do do searches for you, and I feel so much more satisfaction when i have searched and found things for myself, sometimes.
But then I may be a bit weird??
Good luck.

mgnv

mgnv Report 5 Jul 2009 04:48

For the free trial, take the world-wide option, especially for immigration-passenger lists. Just before your time is up, you can cancel and take out a US/UK only package if that's what you decide - you won't get another free 14 days on the new package though.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 5 Jul 2009 06:22

In terms of content the two sites are the same, you just get a different set of web pages, the UK one obviously with a UK bias.

It is the subscription you choose to take out which dictates which records you can access.

I have a Premium Membership but am disappointed with the few records available over and above the Essential Membeship package, so fo me the extra was a waste of money..

If it doesn't cost any more then go for a Worldwide Trial, but again the extra choice is of fairly little use unless you are looking in the US, Canada or Australia etc.