Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Queensland Electoral Rolls

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 5 Jul 2009 12:35

Can anyone advise me if its possible to view Electoral Rolls for Queensland. I am looking for details of a Sheldon family who emigrated from England to QLD in 1959 -

Roland Sheldon (1925)
Helen Sheldon (1924)
Jeffrey E Sheldon (1947)
Helen V Sheldon (1949)
Christopher J Sheldon (1953)
Jennifer L Sheldon (1957)

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Margaret

Sliwowski

Sliwowski Report 5 Jul 2009 13:43

For Electoral Rolls try the Australian Electoral Commission at

http://www.aec.gov.au/index.htm

Sliwowski

Sliwowski Report 5 Jul 2009 13:49

travel records - may not all be your family

redefine current search

Last
name First
name Year of
birth Departure Destination
country Destination
port Transcript Image
Sex year port

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SHELDON Christoph 1953 M 1958 Southampton Australia Sydney VIEW VIEW
SHELDON Helen 1924 F 1958 Southampton Australia Sydney VIEW VIEW
SHELDON Helen 1949 F 1958 Southampton Australia Sydney VIEW VIEW
SHELDON Jeffrey 1947 M 1958 Southampton Australia Sydney VIEW VIEW
SHELDON Jennifer 1957 F 1958 Southampton Australia Sydney VIEW VIEW
SHELDON Lesley 1956 F 1958 Southampton Australia Sydney VIEW VIEW
SHELDON Marie 1928 F 1958 Southampton Australia Sydney VIEW VIEW
SHELDON P 1877 F 1958 Southampton Australia Sydney VIEW VIEW
SHELDON Roland 1925 M 1958 Southampton Australia Sydney VIEW VIEW

from http://www.ancestorsonboard.com/

Sliwowski

Sliwowski Report 5 Jul 2009 13:52

Births, Deaths and Marriages

http://www.justice.qld.gov.au/16.htm

Margaret

Margaret Report 5 Jul 2009 14:01

Hi Sliwowski,

Thank you so much for taking the time to look for 'my' Sheldon's. I did find the passenger records. I see that I put on my message 1959 should have been 1958! I also paid to view the image on Find My Past but did not see Lesley or Marie on that page. I wonder if they were are related and were on the same voyage?
I also did look at the Electoral Commission but it doesn't allow you to do public searches :o(

Thanks again.
Kind regards
Margaret

Sliwowski

Sliwowski Report 5 Jul 2009 14:45

I would say if you can verify the general location the family are/were living in via marriages or deaths I'd look for the record office/library for that area and ask for the electoral roll look up.

Ozzies are the best to ask. If you give this thread a nudge before bed tonight, all the australians using this site over night will see it and may have better advice!

Margaret

Margaret Report 5 Jul 2009 16:10

Thanks for the tip Sliwowski, will do. At this stage I only know its Queensland - somewhere :o)

Margaret

Margaret Report 5 Jul 2009 21:11

n

Valerie

Valerie Report 6 Jul 2009 02:23

..the 'QLD State Library' has an 'Ask Us' Librarian service - (on-line) - they will check electoral rolls (and newspaper death notices etc) .......Valerie (W Aus)

Valerie

Valerie Report 6 Jul 2009 04:12

....if they went to Sydney NSW then you should contact the 'NSW State Library' ..................The 'Ryerson Index' (on-line) shows newspaper death records .... I noticed a 'Roland Harvey Sheldon' d 28/9/08 age 86 (Sydney Morning Herald 30/9/08) and a 'Marie Joyce Sheldon' d 1983 age 55 - 'late of Canley Vale'. (SMH 28/9/83). ('Ryerson's do 'look-ups') .......... The 'NSW State Library' should find Jeffrey E & Christopher J on the electoral rolls. ... The 'White Pages' are on-line .. hopefully you may find them there. ...............Valerie (WAus)

Margaret

Margaret Report 6 Jul 2009 05:24

Thank you Valerie for taking the time and interest in my search. 'My' Roland would have been 83 in 2008 and his birth record doesn't list a middle name. I have not yet found any connection to the Marie Sheldon who sailed to Australia the same year. I have taken your advice and emailed the QLD State Library to see if they can come up with anything.

Kind regards
Margaret

Valerie

Valerie Report 6 Jul 2009 06:17

Thanks Margaret ......the 'Brisbane City Council cemeteries' is on-line - ... (but I think I looked there earlier). ......... I think the QLD library has NSW electoral rolls too -so they should find them. ..Valerie

Sheila

Sheila Report 6 Jul 2009 10:27

Have you tired www.infobel.com for living relatives if you know the area ?