Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do I get a copy of a Scottish Will...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sliwowski

Sliwowski Report 5 Jul 2009 13:26

without going to Scotland?

My great grandfather, Stefan Sliwowski, died in St Andrew's on 20NOV1978 and is told to have left his sons family property in Poland, paintings and shares. Also his death certificate stated that he had a spouse named Zosia, previously unheard of. I'm hoping his will may help shed some light on these details.

I need some ideas of where it might be held and how to get hold of it?

Many thanks!

Contrary Mary

Contrary Mary Report 5 Jul 2009 14:59

I've copied this from the NAS website for you, hope it helps. As you have the exact place and dod, if you email them they may do the search and send you the info (for a fee obviously), they did for me when I wanted divorce records. www.nas.gov.uk

How to find testaments from 1902
From 1902, to search for the will and/or inventory of someone who died in Scotland or someone with Scottish connections who died outwith Scotland, you need to know:
the person's name,
where they lived, and
when they died.
There is an annual index of testaments, the Calendar of Confirmations. From 1901 to 1959 it takes the form of printed or typed volumes and from 1960 it is in the form of microfiche cards. The Calendar covers all of Scotland and gives details of the deceased, their place and date of death, and details of when and where their testament is recorded. The index is available in the Historical Search Room and the Mitchell Library, Glasgow, holds copies up to 1936. From 1985-1996 there is a computer index available in the NAS search rooms.

Mary

Sliwowski

Sliwowski Report 5 Jul 2009 16:10

Thanks, Mary. Will try that.

Margaret

Margaret Report 5 Jul 2009 16:20

I have sent you a personal message......