Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do you find if your in somebodys will?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Melody

Melody Report 7 Jul 2009 01:31

Just discovered im adopted , cant find dennis smith 1938 anywhere. Mabey if im in his will i can trace him. My name is Melody joy smith

Penny

Penny Report 7 Jul 2009 08:23

if Dennis Smith was you birth father and after you were born you were adopted by another father , you wouldn't be intiltled to inherit from his estate, although Its possible (If he's died) that he left you something. It would be unusual though.

You'd need quite a lot more information though , like where he lived , when he died
You may need to bear in mind, 38 Dennis Smiths were born in 1938

Penny

Penny Report 7 Jul 2009 08:37

Jonesey

Thats what i thought I said

After adoption you dont inherit automatically ( as a birth child normally would) Only be entitled to something if he actually willed it to you, like he could will something to the kindly girl next door if he so chose

Penny

Penny Report 8 Jul 2009 07:49

From Melody
Hi Minnie, i dont think he knows i was adopted, because in his message too me he said i could be under a other name through marrage

Not sure what that means really.
Who said? who sent you a message?
Are you in contact with this chap then? Presumably if you are you know he's still alive, or am i misunderstanding?

Reply here on this thread ( Click add a reply) its so much easier than a message

Melody

Melody Report 8 Jul 2009 08:01

a couple of weeks ago i found a message from my birth father, he asked the people on gr, if they knew my where abouts 3 years ago. I have only been known as melody blaikie all my life until i got married, then became an oconnor. So there is no information about me anywhere, as a smith.But bloody hell how many Dennis Smiths out there ? lllllooooooooooaaaaaaddddssssss
lol x

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 8 Jul 2009 08:18

Hi Melody,

I've just found the original message posted by him in 2006 and your reply.

Did you send him a pm as that would be the best option.

He probably won't be checking for replies after all this time but if you send a pm, Gr will send him an email telling him he has a message. Hopefully he will still have the same email address and receive the message.

Christine

Melody

Melody Report 8 Jul 2009 08:34

Yes i have left him several pm, even asked him for me too veiw his tree. Today i applyed for my birth certificit, so hopefully there will be more details about him on there

Penny

Penny Report 8 Jul 2009 08:57

if he is named on your birth certificate, then he will know about your adoption. Theoretically anyway. he would have had to have consented to the adoption.

What does your adoption file tell you about him?

BTW, dont put your phone number on an open forum, all sorts of cranks could ring you

Melody

Melody Report 8 Jul 2009 09:04

it tells me nothing much, all it say is his name and my mothers name. but my adoption agency, told me that in them days that nobody needed their permission. So i dont realy know Also said no point on going on national adoption register
x

Penny

Penny Report 8 Jul 2009 09:07

they certainly did need to give their permission, unless you were ward of court or something.

what is the national adoption register?

Melody

Melody Report 8 Jul 2009 09:12

Ok thanks for that. The national adoption registra , is when people are adopted they can go on it, then if a parent want too find his/her child they adopted out , they match the two and get in touch with either party

Penny

Penny Report 8 Jul 2009 09:18

So why is it pointless going on it?

Melody

Melody Report 8 Jul 2009 09:20

i was told by the agency, not too bother, or else i would have. i might have too do it now , for what you told me