Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

one name study

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dusty48

Dusty48 Report 8 Jul 2009 02:07

I'was thinking of doing a sort of mini one name study of my Dobie family line,covering only Co. durham to sort of dip my toe in the water.
I used free bmd to collect all vital records from 1837 - 1939 (cut off there togive some measure of privacy to living people) which showed some interesting patterns of internal migration,death hotspots,etc
But I am facing major hadaches because of the large variations in the spelling of the family name.
so far I have come across the following variations---Dobby, Dobbye, Dobbie,Dobbey, Doby, Dobey, Dobee, and the wonderfully over the top Doughby !!
any one ancestor ,from bmd plus censuses can be the proud possessor of up to four varint spellings,and then his descendents might have a slightly different set ! If I do a pedigree chart,and choose the birth or christening spelling as standard for that individual,,I find the next generation is different again! I cant even decide on an official family surname!
Anyone doing a one name study,any comments or advice ?

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 8 Jul 2009 08:21

Maureen

My OH is also doing a small one name surname study and has come across a similar problem with his surname.

What he has done is use Family Tree Maker Software (2006) which allows you to add 'also known as' for each individual. He enters their surname as registered, or from baptism, and then adds the variants as 'aka's.

The programme then allows you to produce a pedigree tree which includes the 'aka's.

For example, one of my own, for a changing forename shows in the pedigree as..

Ellen Frances WORWOOD
aka:Helen Frances Worwood, Doll and Dolly

Sadly the 2006 version doesn't allow you to print a genealogy report with the 'aka's but maybe later versions or other software would.

Chris

Dusty48

Dusty48 Report 8 Jul 2009 22:28

Chris,
you are brilliant ! Thanks for your suggestion, I'll bear it in mind..By the way, I looked at the Guild of One Name studies website and the amount of work involved in a fullblown study is staggering It involves extracting all BMD
detailsfor the whole of the UK,a huge selection of pre 1837 parish record details,directories, passenger lists,wills, court cases,obituaries etc,etc,etc.You then must start all over with USA,and as many other countries as you can.It is an incredible amount of work,a lifetimes worth.
i'll just stick to one county,I think !

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 8 Jul 2009 23:32

Maureen

It really depends on the rarity of the name. Some ONS are relatively small.

I'm doing a ONS through the Guild of ONS and I would think that about half of my "names" are connected to my mother's family in one way or another. It's possible that if I can make links further back then a lot of the rest will link in as distant cousins etc.

You could start in a geographic area maybe and then gradually build the info. If you do it that way you might come across someone else with the same name interest searching in another geographical area and then work together. Some ONS are run by groups.

Good luck with it - it is good fun and possibly even more obsessive than a family tree. Every time I come across a new database somewhere I automatically enter my "name". I drive myself mad.

Jill