Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Look up

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling

Rambling Report 8 Jul 2009 11:24

Usually unless there is a privacy issue having done look ups I post the info on the thread, therefore I only ever see the 'board name' of the poster.

Lately I have had half a dozen 'Thankyou for your help' PMs in the full name , which is very nice, and thankyou, but I don't have a clue who they are or what thread is being referred to.

Does anyone agree it is best if possible to say thanks on the relevant thread? as then everyone can see that it is 'sorted' and the 'helper' know what she/he is being thanked for?

If it is just me that feels this way , ignore lol. :))

Rose xx

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 8 Jul 2009 11:30

totally agree - I get loads of thank you messages which is nice but have no idea who the subject is!!!

Potty

Potty Report 8 Jul 2009 11:46

Me too! And sometimes I get PMs asking for more info but I can't find the original threads. I usually PM back asking the poster to return to their thread and telling them how to do that.

mgnv

mgnv Report 8 Jul 2009 11:52

I don't agree - but it really can be confusing to know what they're talking about. I just wish they'ld add a line to their pm, like:

Re: http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.asp?wci=thread&tk=1161883

so I could find the thread easy.

Rambling

Rambling Report 8 Jul 2009 12:01

mgnv yes that would be fine, or just the pm with thanks and the board name added,

eg "Thanks for look up" , for board name ' joe bloggs' "

so I could look in 'My threads' and know what it was, after all I may have had a ' brainwave' since as to where they could find more info. lol

xx

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 8 Jul 2009 12:11

Rose, you have saved me starting an identical thread! Is this a recent phenomenon? Maybe the first person to give a helping hand should just mention that all communication is best kept to the threads unless it's really confidential?
Jan

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 8 Jul 2009 12:14

I know what you mean - I'm afraid I tend to ignore the messages because it is difficult to work out who they are.

I also tend to ignore messages that come as a result of my asking a question on their thread. Same applies - I cannot always work out which thread so tend to ignore those too.

Jill

Rambling

Rambling Report 8 Jul 2009 12:30

Hi Janet, it does seem to be recent really.

I don't expect an individual thanks on thread btw, just a 'Thanks to all who looked- it's sorted'

Which reminds me! I must get back to someone re looking up for them, because I am stumped! I hope someone will be able to make sense of it lol.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 8 Jul 2009 12:38

What is that then Rose? Maybe we could all get our heads together!
Jan

Alan

Alan Report 8 Jul 2009 17:52

I think such pms are a "personal" thank you rather than public one but Yes, ........its a pain finding the thread.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 8 Jul 2009 17:59

As far as I am concerned a personal message is a real bonus. It shows that that the person was grateful, so please, please don't knock it.

It isn't actually that hard to find the original thread, go to 'My threads' and it takes no time at all to find the one the message relates to.

Rambling

Rambling Report 8 Jul 2009 18:04

Brinsley it is actually... I love getting personal thanks, I really do appreciate it...but if the name on the thrad is different to the name on the message boards going to my threads is useless unless there is a specific reference in the 'thanks' pm,

and if like me you are constantly adding to threads on all the boards including gen and chat there can be literally pages to go through lol

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 8 Jul 2009 18:11

I completely agree, and I thought the same a little while ago but it doesn't take too much effort to work out who sent you the message.

It is probably something recent, something that you made a significant contribution to, so take a guess, go to the thread and click on the contributor to see their 'real' name.

Thelma

Thelma Report 8 Jul 2009 18:26

I had one today.A lovely thankyou but as you say no idea of the original thread.
I feel the problem may be board names.
Board name on the thread
another name when you click on boardname.(birth name/maiden)
And another name in contacts.(current surname/married)
Surely only one name should be used throughout.

Rambling

Rambling Report 8 Jul 2009 18:29

I have 7 pages of 'my threads' for July alone and we're only on the 8th as it is lol.... (267 altogether)

if it is something I have put time into I do generally remember, but in this case it was only me adding one web site address...so not memorable.

Anyway, good hunting, and finding, to all :)