Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

how much is it worth today?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Blue1

Blue1 Report 9 Jul 2009 15:12

Hi,
i can't find out how to convert £5.08.11d in 1855 to what it would be worth today.
Does any one know of a site that provides the conversion please,or has any one a rough idea

thanks all

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 9 Jul 2009 15:17

£5.45 - 1 shilling = 5p (12 pence(d) to 1s)

Blue1

Blue1 Report 9 Jul 2009 15:19

Thanks lancashireann,

I didn't explain my self properly i meant is it worth like £20 or something

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 9 Jul 2009 15:22

In 2008, £5 8s 11d from 1855 is worth

£369.26 using the retail price index.
£3,614.64 using average earnings.

found here:- http://measuringworth.com/calculators/ppoweruk/

Blue1

Blue1 Report 9 Jul 2009 15:26

Thanks,
my goodness!
That's how much my ancestor had owing to him when he fell over board a seal oil boat from greenland
So his widow must have been left well off,that's nice to know.
I'v book marked the link you gave me for future ref

Christopher

Christopher Report 9 Jul 2009 15:30

Try the following websites
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/currency
http://measuringworth.com/index.html
regards Chris

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 9 Jul 2009 15:30

sorry - I did wonder if that was what you meant

I have bookmarked the site you gave too Keith. Thanks

Blue1

Blue1 Report 10 Jul 2009 17:34

thanks all,
i have bookmarked the national archives converter also

Michael

Michael Report 11 Jul 2009 17:44

Blue12 I'm not sure why you say "his widow must have been left well off,that's nice to know".

He was owed a sum of money with £369.26 of buying power in today's terms. It took a lot of earning but it is hardly leaving a widow well off.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 12 Jul 2009 09:49

Yes, but at the time, because wages were approx ten times less than they are now, it would have appeared like £3,614.64 of earnings to a person at the time.

Michael

Michael Report 13 Jul 2009 06:45

So Brinsley you believe that what is perhaps four or five weeks of earnings is leaving someone "well off"? However you look at this sum of money it is not leaving anyone "well off".

This is probably far less money than the widow was expecting. It is pay earned up to a date of death a few weeks in to a voyage that the widow is paid several weeks late when the ship returns. She was expecting a husband and several months of earnings at that point. Without additional compensation or insurance he is most likely in terrible financial circumstances at this point.

Blue1

Blue1 Report 13 Jul 2009 09:54

Hi,
I didn't mean my grt grt grt grandmother was well off as such.
I meant that I'm guessing in 1855 she could probably have bought a house for about a pound? and was not left destitute.
I wonder how much a house would have cost in Lonmay Scotland in those days? I shall look in to it.
Also throughout the census she is not in a poor house.
My grandfather was on the return journey,he signed on in Feb and was returning from Greenland,the accident happened in the May off shore of Fraserburgh,so i expect the money my granny received was pretty much what she expected.

thanks to both of you for contributing
Blue

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 13 Jul 2009 10:41

I didn't say that at all. My point was that in this case it might be more appropriate to compare the earnings figure.