Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mis-Information on Marriage Certificate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Stuart

Stuart Report 10 Jul 2009 15:04

I have a GRO copy of a marriage cert that I am 99.9% certain is for the couple I am interested in. However the fathers info for the Bride is not what I expected and different from her birh cert.
This was a register office marriage (1912)
Without going to the register office and getting a copy (another £7 fee plus search fees) from their archives, what other ways are there of checking if the info on the GRO copy was the same as was entered at the registry office at the time of the marriage?

Stuart

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 10 Jul 2009 16:26

If it was a church wedding and you knew where the wedding took place, you could have checked the parish records at the local archives, but as it was a register office, as far as I am aware, the records have never been deposited, but kept with the registrars office.

So I think a phone call to the registrars may be in order rather than purchasing another certificate, may save the cost of another cert.

Stuart

Stuart Report 10 Jul 2009 17:24

Keith,

Thanks. I tried that but the registrars office was not really very helpful.

I might try them again on another day and luck out with someone else that might give me the info I need.

PS: are the mosquitos as big as ever down there in Fujairah?
Spent a few years in the Gulf myself (1973-1984) Bahrain, Doha, Sharjah and Oman.

Stuart

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 10 Jul 2009 20:38

Hi Stuart,
Mozzies dont really seem to bother me too much, but there are sometimes large ones at the Hilton at Sailors Bar on the front.

Stuart

Stuart Report 11 Jul 2009 11:49

-N-

Sprack

Sprack Report 11 Jul 2009 13:25

I have a marriage certificate for my husbands granddads brother which like you was sure it was right but had the wrong fathers name of Isaac Taylor on but when I viewed the film of the actual register in the local library three of us including the librarian agreed it said James not Isaac but it wasn't that clear so whoever copied it obviously just guessed it.
Jenny

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 11 Jul 2009 14:11

Other possibioities are i) you have the wrong certificate ii) the registrar misheard what the married couple said iii) the couple were getting married without father's permission and gave a false name

Stuart

Stuart Report 12 Jul 2009 08:45

Thanks for the responses.

The name written on the cert is Walter and quite clear. The name I think it should be is Norman.
Her father had died in 1909 so it should have deceased after the name on the cert.
I am beginning to think that a combination of mis-hearing and bending actuality are apparent here.

Regards
Stuart

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 12 Jul 2009 09:46

You can't assume a person was still alive just because the word 'Deceased' isn't on the cert.