Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help needed John Staples married Duffield 1847

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Keith

Keith Report 10 Jul 2009 23:48

I keep drawing blanks on my 3 x G Grandfather, John Staples.

I have located his wedding to Louisa Bunney on 21 April 1847 at Duffield, Derbyshire. The wedding Certificate hides more than it reveals. They are both supposedly single and OFA (of full age), and lived in the Belper District; Duffield Parish was in that District. His father was called William and hers Joseph.

They seem to escape detection in any census. I can find neither John nor Louisa Staples in Derbyshire in the 1851 Census, yet an Alfred Nyman Staples is born to them at Thurston in the Ashbourne District, Derbyshire on 20 November 1852. In reporting the birth Louisa is described as Louisa Staples formerly Nyman. I think this suggests that she was in fact not single when she wed John but had a previous marriage to a Mr. Nyman, probably called Alfred, which I can’t find.

They move to London and have two more children Henry Nyman Staples b. 31 Dec 1854 who dies a few months later and Emma Alfreda Staples b. 31 may 1856 and christened at St Luke’s church Old Street the following year. In reporting each of the births Louisa is described as Louisa Staples late Bunney formerly Nyman.

That’s the last I can find of them. I can’t locate them in the 1861 Census nor in the 1871 census. Emma turns up in the 1881 Census minus her parents calling herself Emily and by 1891 she has become Kate. I can trace Emma to her death in Cambridgeshire in 1948, but her parents remain a mystery.

Where were they for the 1851, 1861 and 1871 Census? I know I must have overlooked something obvious but after many, many hours of fruitless searching I am no closer to an answer. Can anyone help?

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 11 Jul 2009 00:00

I guess you have Emmas marriage in 1891. Did it say if her father was deceased?

What was John Staples occupation from any certs you have?

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 11 Jul 2009 00:42

Hi Keith,

Could Emma's occupation be a clue??? Was her father in the Army???

Dee

Hibernian

Hibernian Report 11 Jul 2009 00:56

Keith

Here's something to bear in mind.

Louisa's first marriage may have been to someone with the surname Bunney, rather than Nyman.

The birth of Henry and Emma are registered with her being Louisa Staples LATE Bunney, FORMERLY Nyman. The combination of late/formerly suggests her maiden name was Nyman, and her first married name was Bunney.

Also, it 'may' have been more likely that she gave her two sons their middle name Nyman, being her maiden name.

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 11 Jul 2009 01:07

Could this be John, he is a stone cutter;

1841 England Census
about John Staples
Name: John Staples
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1816
Where born: Derbyshire, England

Civil parish: Duffield
Hundred: Appletree
County/Island: Derbyshire

Street Address:

Registration district: Belper
Sub-registration district: Horsley
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Thomas Hatton 25
John Staples 25

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 11 Jul 2009 01:22

1841 England Census
about Louisa Bunney
Name: Louisa Bunney
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1821

Civil parish: Castle Donington
Hundred: West Goscote
County/Island: Leicestershire

Street Address:

Registration district: Shardlow
Sub-registration district: Castle Donington
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Jonathan Bunney 25
Louisa Bunney 20
Charles Bunney 1
Mary Moody 35 <<< not with the Bunney Household.

JONATHAN BUNNEY Pedigree
Male Family

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth:
Christening:
Death:
Burial:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marriages:
Spouse: LOUISA KYMAN Family
Marriage: 23 NOV 1834 Castle Donnington, Leicester, England

Dee x

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 11 Jul 2009 01:49

This is possible Charles birth, maybe a twin sister??

Births Jun 1840 (>99%)

Bunney Charles Shardlow 19 548
Bunney Mary Shardlow 19 548

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 11 Jul 2009 02:49

Mary Bunney died 1841 mar qt Shardlow gro ref v19 page 438

Keith

Keith Report 12 Jul 2009 07:03

Thank you all so much. It's a bit overwhelming in the nicest way, to get so much help. I really hadn't expected more than one reply, and that some days from now. You clearly are a very generous and supportive group.

So to answer some of the questions first.

John's occupation on his wedding Cert (1847) was Ag. Labourer on Alfred's Birth cert (1852) it was Hawker, on Henry and Emma's Birth certs (1854 and1856) he was a servant at a brewery. On Emma's wedding cert he was a provision dealer (shop keeper?). There is no indication as to whether he is living or dead at that time.

We all know how data from a certificate is liable to error but the reason I opted for Bunney as Louisa's maiden name was that her father on the Wedding Cert is given as Joseph Bunney. He might have been her former husband's father and had been especially kind to her and was sentimentally regarded as a father figure. There is at least one other family Wedding Cert not on this branch, where the person suggested as the bride's father was in fact a step father, so Nymans may be a fruitful line of enquiry.

Emma gives her occupation as Military Emboidress and that could give strength to the idea that her father John may have joined the army. The only problem is that it would seem to have occurred after 1856 and by that stage he must ahve been about 40 years old, if he is the stone cutter in the 1841 Census.
I am not totally convinced that the stonecutter is necessarily my GGGGF. There are quite a few Staples families in the area and John was a very popular moniker as well a John Staples dies at Belper in 1863 long after the family has headed off to London, They may have returned but I have nothing to suggest this.

I'll have a bit of a poke around with what has been suggested and post more soon.

If anyone has any more ideas etc. I'd be very grateful to receive them.