Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Is it possible to order chinese birth certificates

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Victoria

Victoria Report 12 Jul 2009 09:06

Hi
Does anyone know if it is possible to order a birth certificate for someone who was born in Shanghai, China, in 1873?

Thanks
Vicki

Ron

Ron Report 12 Jul 2009 10:18

I would imagine it may well be possible but the problem is if you could get one it would be written in Chinese.

Ron
www.genealogyprinters.com

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 12 Jul 2009 10:47

if it was a British birth it may be on the Find My past overseas index

Suzi-Wong

Suzi-Wong Report 12 Jul 2009 12:12

Hello..I have this in my family. You need Consular Returns......the pages might cover a few years and you may find more than one child on the same page because the parents just registered all bmd's at the same time when they visited the Consul. Good luck.

Suzanne

Victoria

Victoria Report 12 Jul 2009 12:39

Thanks for this,

Linda in Herriot County, we always thought she was a British Subject living in Shanghai, her father was Andrew Nelson, which sounds pretty British to me, but since I have started doing this, a distant family member has said she always thought my Gt grandmother was half chinese, which is news to us, and something my grandfather never mentioned, however she did die when he was very small. I will def try the overseas records,

Suzi-Wong, can you please tell me how to access these consular returns, do I need to go to the Shanghai consulat?

Thanks again for the advice

Vicki

Victoria

Victoria Report 12 Jul 2009 17:37

She is Minnie Nelson born 1873 in Shanghai, her father is Andrew Nelson according to her marriage certificate. She is on 1891 census as living in Anglesey with her Aunt and married my Great Grandfather in 1897 I think (cant remember off the top of my head), she died in Anglesey in 1917. I have her marriage certificate which was among a box of things my cousin had in her loft.

I am sure Minnie was her name and not an abbreivation of anything as on her marriage certificate it is simply Minnie Nelson and on her death registration it is Minnie Evans.

There is a possibility that her mother's surname was Rogers or Thomas pre-marriage, but this is a guess from the fact she was living with her Aunt Mary Thomas (nee Rogers) in 1891 in Anglesey.

Not sure if any of this will help. I know a fair bit about her but want to track who her mother was! Very frustrating!

Thanks for all your help

Vicki

Having just written this I am now wondering if the parish record of the marriage in Anglesey might hold details of her mother?

Victoria

Victoria Report 12 Jul 2009 21:26

Fpr those who have been helping me try to find this out, I have just stumbled across this post on an ancestry message board and think I may give them a ring tomorrow, hope it might be of help to others, I will post if the news from Lambeth is positive!

Lambeth Palace Library is a new source to me, but looks a good call! For the benifit of anyone arriving here from a word-search, their website says:
"The Library holds a few registers and transcripts for churches outside the British Isles ... Shanghai, China, 1849-1951 (MSS.1564-84); Shantung, China, 1906-1950 (MSS.1761-4)."
"Geoffrey Yeo's The British Overseas: a guide to records of their births, baptisms, marriages, deaths and burials, available in the United Kingdom (3rd edn. Guildhall Library, London, 1995) is the best guide to the location of other similar records held in the UK."

You can search British Overseas records on FindMyPast records are extremely extensive.

Vicki