Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

BIRTH 1830/1833 BEST PLACE TO FIND

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Debbie K

Debbie K Report 12 Jul 2009 16:45

Hi Could somebody please tell me the best site to try and find a birth in woolwich between 1830/1833.

I am a member of Ancestry but for the life of me I can't seem to work that bit out.

Ive also looked on family search.org nothing.

Any more suggestions please.

Thanks
Deb

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 12 Jul 2009 16:52

Ancestry has this database

London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1834-1906

But not sure if they have anything else for that period.

Have you tried Hugh Wallis batch numbers - same info as on FamilySearch but FS site does appear to rotate their info

Debbie K

Debbie K Report 12 Jul 2009 16:54

I dont think I have tried Hugh Wallis batch numbers how do you do that ? sorry for asking but it is all new to me

deb

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 12 Jul 2009 16:59

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers.htm

Under "What is a batch" - select skip to country selection menu

Then select - England and then whatever county you want.

Scroll down and then look at the town to see if any christening records are list. - if so click on batch for roughly right date

Debbie K

Debbie K Report 12 Jul 2009 17:00

Thanks Glitter Baby

I will try that

Deb

Debbie K

Debbie K Report 12 Jul 2009 17:25

Hi

Right I have had a look on what Glitter Baby sugested no luck.

This might be a really stupid question but does the local chuch have the records or is it somewher else ?

Deb

Heather

Heather Report 12 Jul 2009 17:31

Before 1837 there were no certificates, so no registrations as such. Prior to that date you need to look at parish registers. You will have to find the records office closest to the event and either go there in person and trawl the register fiches/films yourself or if you have a good idea of the place/date, you can ask the archivists to do it for you for a fee.

Alternatively, some local family history societies have produced cds which you can buy for PRS.

Have a google for Woolwich PRS or North West Kent family history society (Woolwich would have been Kent then)

Debbie K

Debbie K Report 12 Jul 2009 17:36

Thanks Heather

The earliest I have him is on the 1851 Census and it does state that he was born in woolwich. So I might need a bit of luck if I find his birth ( god i need it ) but I think I will give that one ago, as Im having no luck anywhere else

Thanks v much

Deb

Thelma

Thelma Report 12 Jul 2009 17:56

Have a look at the library catalogue on familysearch.You may be able to rent the records at a centre near you.
England, Kent, Woolwich - Church records

Titles Bishop's transcripts for St. Mary Magdalene's Church, Woolwich, 1813-1875 Church of England. St. Mary Magdalene's Church (Woolwich, Kent)
Church records, 1781-1836 Baptist Church (Woolwich)

Church records, 1786-1853 Enon Chapel (Woolwich)

Church records, 1796-1837 Salem Chapel (Woolwich, Kent : Independent)

Church records, 1797-1840 Scottish Church (Woolwich, England)

Church records, 1800-1854 Wesleyan Church (William Street, Woolwich)

Church records, 1806-1832 Woolwich Chapel (Woolwich : Independent)

Church records, 1819-1835 Union Chapel (Woolwich, Kent : Independent)

Church records, 1822-1826 High Street Chapel (Woolwich, England : Scotts Presbyterian)

Church records, 1836-1854 Union Chapel (Woolwich : Non-Conformist)

Parish registers, 1877-1883 Church of England. Parish Church of Woolwich

Record of members, 1841-1880 Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Woolwich Branch (Kent)

St. Mary Magdalen, Woolwich Kent, 1813-1837 baptisms, marriages, and burials : includes the year 1821 missing from the bishop's transcripts and the I.G.I. (this volume contains numerous military families from the Royal Artillery, based at Woolwich since 1716) Cottrell, Robert J.

Woolwich, Royal Arsenal & Dockyard Chapel : baptisms 1873 to 1922 : images, transcripts & index of registers North West Kent Family History Society

Woolwich, St. Mary Magdalene images of parish registers North West Kent Family History Society

Debbie K

Debbie K Report 13 Jul 2009 09:13

Thanks Jim

All that information is very helpfull.

Thanks for your time on this

Deb