Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Wills

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janette

Janette Report 12 Jul 2009 18:38

Can anyone give me info on where I would find information about wills how to access them or get info about them
Thanks

Helen in Bucks

Helen in Bucks Report 12 Jul 2009 18:55

prior to 1858 wills were proved in a number of different ecclesiastical courts and so could be in various archives, try the local records office nearest to the place of death, you may also find indexes online (e.g. this is the case for the wills held by the Centre for Buckinghamshire Studies), try googling

the national probate index from 1858 to 1943 is available on microfiche at most local records offices / county archives etc, you can search to find if there was a will / probate and then apply by post (£5 fee) for the will via the probate office in York - more info on the probate service website

the principal probate registry in Holborn in London has indexes from 1943 onwards which you can search in person, I'm not sure if they will search for you, again info on the probate service website

Angela

Angela Report 12 Jul 2009 20:23

Helen -

the Pricipal Probate Registry in Holborn has ALL the indexes from 1858 to the present day.

Angela

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 12 Jul 2009 21:16

there are also some wills available online on the national archives site