Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family History Centre Price for LDS Films Goe's th

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paul

Paul Report 12 Jul 2009 22:26

I went to order some parish registers from my local LDS family history centre and they informed me that the price of each film has gone from £2.75 to £7.25, they said that this is the new price for all family history centres in the world, has anyone else heard anything about this?

Paul

Paul Report 12 Jul 2009 22:45

Doesn't anyone use the LDS family history centres, they are very useful and local?

Joy

Joy Report 12 Jul 2009 22:55

If that is so, it would be better value for money, for me, to travel to the one at Hyde Park.

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat Report 12 Jul 2009 23:06

Why Hyde Park, Joy? Don't they charge there? (Doesn't actually make a difference to me as it is too far to go anyway, but I am just interested). I have not used my local LDS for about 18 months due to work/illness etc, but was just planning starting up my research there again. If the fees have gone up this much, I shall have to think again. Oh dear.

Tina

Paul

Paul Report 12 Jul 2009 23:19

I was told by the staff at the family history centre that the old price of £2.75 was heavily subsidised by the LDS church, because you think about it, if they haven't got a copy of the film that you want in this country (the HQ is in Birmingham) then they will order it for you from Salt Lake City in Utah. Then they have got to produce the film and then pay for the postage to the centre for you to look at. I was told that this new price reflects the actual cost. The LDS church is in the process of putting all their films onto their new website: Pilot Family Search:
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#start
It is going to take some time, they say 3 years to put them all onto this site, but I think it will take longer than this

Joy

Joy Report 13 Jul 2009 10:13

Hope you feel better soon, Tina.

My mistake, it has been updated:

http://www.londonfhc.org/content/catalogue?inventory=true

This Centre has onsite about 60,000 microfilms, mostly records of the British Isles and Ireland, but does not have all of the films of FamilySearch. If you find a film in the Family History Library Catalog that you want to see, type its number below to see if it is held onsite at the London Family History Centre.

If not already held, films from the Salt Lake collection can be ordered to be used at the Centre.

Ordering a Film for Viewing at the Centre

Film order costs have changed. Cost of a film on loan is now £7.50 which reflects actual circulation costs. Film loan is for 90 days and can be renewed for an additional 90 days for an additional cost of £7.50. We apologize for the lack of notice about these changes, which have just been communicated to us to be effective immediately. Films from the British Isles may be renewed twice. All others may be renewed once only.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 14 Jul 2009 17:31

Guinevere put a thread up on this on chat or general board a couple of weeks ago

ann
Glos