Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

An Alphabetical Index to Subjects on this Site!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paul

Paul Report 12 Jul 2009 23:03

I have decided to add a post to suggest that we have one post that is an index to all the content in the tips board, so that if someone asks a questions about how do I find out about civil registration they can find the right thread, because a lot of this is just repeating what has been posted before.
What do people think to this idea?
Surely Genes should do it but if they aren't then we can do it ourselves

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat Report 12 Jul 2009 23:08

But there is already the keyword search function. If people don't bother to use that, would they bother to use an alphabetical search?

Tina

Paul

Paul Report 12 Jul 2009 23:11

Good point, are beginners told about this when they come into the community, to search the boards for what they are looking for before they post a message?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 13 Jul 2009 00:21

Paul

Beginners are told absolutely nothing about how to use this site! And most of them do not attempt to find out how to use it! Most of them just jump right in.

That's why we have all the different problems, from people repeatedly asking the same question, to not knowing that they have to return to threads to check for replies, or how to reply on a thread, not knowing that there is a T&C condition about not starting more than one thread on the same topic ............. i could go on and on and on!.

You could start a thread as you suggest, but I doubt it will go anywhere ........... yes, I am being pessimistic, but I have seen umpteen helpful threads started by members over the last 6 years or so. They fly for a little while but then they gradually sink to the end of the line on whichever board they're on.

sylvia

Paul

Paul Report 13 Jul 2009 00:26

Sylvia
I agree with you
I think Genes should be doing a lot more, they should be more proactive in providing a better service for us their users and also for newcomers, I rather think they are more interested in it commercially than anything else
What do you think/
I know they lost quite a few members a while ago to Family Tree Forum