Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adding new relatives without birth date?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Neil

Neil Report 14 Jul 2009 12:35

Hi, I'm still fairly new to this and I am trying to add a number of relatives to my tree but the program won't let me without a date of birth. Is it possible to bypass this function and add names without the birth date?

Many thanks.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 14 Jul 2009 12:40

You only need a year - just do something approximate.
Jan

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 14 Jul 2009 12:45

If you have their ages from say a census or marriage cert then you can calculate the approx year they were born and tick the box "tick if unsure"

Neil

Neil Report 14 Jul 2009 13:00

Many thanks for replying. What if I have no idea of year of birth and just have a name? I am asking because people have shared trees with me where they have names but no dates at all.

If I really have no idea of a year of birth I would just rather leave it blank - is it possible to do this?

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 14 Jul 2009 13:06

Afraid not Neil. Just make a guess, however wild.
A word of caution - make sure you check info you are getting, if it is imporant to you. If it is so vague I would be inclined to leave it off your tree and just make a note of it until you have something more substantial.
I think when you are just starting out it is tempting to put everything on your tree, but then you end up with just a list of names. That soon palls believe me. What soon becomes interesting is the stories behind the people. And a name with nothing else means very little doesn't it?
Jan

Thelma

Thelma Report 14 Jul 2009 13:07

You can build your tree on your own computer,without dates.
If you then upload to Genes it will be as you want .

Neil

Neil Report 14 Jul 2009 13:21

Ok Janet, thanks for that. I do know the names of the relatives are genuine, I will just have to guess at their ages.

Jim - I had thought about getting some tree building software but got confused by the good and bad reviews of them all.