Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Please and thank you

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 14 Jul 2009 13:18

Am i just an old fogey? I wish folks would put "please" in their enquiries. If there is jus a bold statement like "fred Bloggs 1970 need info" I wouldn't even go there.
What do others think?
Jan (trainee grumpy old woman)

Kathleen

Kathleen Report 14 Jul 2009 14:00

Jan, I am a great believer in the old adage "manners maketh the man" (or woman).
Courtesy costs nothing and basic "please" and "thank you" is not (or should not) be so hard to say. Sadly, these days, it seems people make demands rather than ask politely. I tend to ignore requests that are demands rather than a polite query.

Kathleen
(a fully fledged grumpy old woman)

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 14 Jul 2009 14:53

Janet

I feel the same, i am tempted many times to ask the poster if they have left something out of their request, like Please and thank you, but some don't believe it to be necessary.

Another old fogey

George

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 14 Jul 2009 15:05

I wonder if people sometimes think that Genes provide a lookup service? It isn't immediately obvious that it is other members helping out - I was amazed by this when i cottoned on (still am!) and now I am starting to do the same!
Still doesn't excuse bad manners mind.
Jan

AllanC

AllanC Report 14 Jul 2009 15:24

I think perhaps "thank you" could be more important than "please". If members have been to the trouble of helping you, even looking things up on other sites, then posting a "thank you" is more than just a formal courtesy, it shows that you've received the information and their efforts haven't been wasted.
So now I'll have to remember to do it myself, which I've perhaps not been so punctillious about before.
And if someone's been really helpful, why not thank them by PM
A

Middy

Middy Report 14 Jul 2009 16:24

I agree with everyone regarding manners, I posted a thread and was so pleased that I received 80 responses, as Janet said I never realised that it was members that search and try and help you find what you are looking for - I thought it was perhaps people who were employed by the site, it wasn't until a couple of the responses said 'that I am just going out, but will look when I come back for you' and 'I'm at work at the moment but will see what I can find', that I realised - I think the generosity of the people on this site is amazing and I have to say I am always grateful for any help and always say thanks - because I think that the people who are searching then know that they are appreciated.

Thanksxxx

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 14 Jul 2009 16:49

I also think it's a case of posters thinking that people who do look-ups are employed by GR

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 14 Jul 2009 17:00

I'm sure that is true. But even so, still should be polite I think.
Jan

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 14 Jul 2009 17:34

There's only room on these threads for one Mrs Grumpy ... !!

Seriously though, I too tend to ignore threads that don't say please or thank you.

Jill

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 14 Jul 2009 19:05

I don't blame any one for not helping anyone who doesn't say please, after all manners cost nothing. I always speak to people in the way I'd like to be spoken to. Once again, thank you to all those member s who very generously give up their time helping other members.

Chris

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 14 Jul 2009 19:16

Just one more thing -(Jill, I am after your title!) - I also think that some of the more experienced folks on here can be a bit rude. A lot of new people are perfectly polite but maybe post several threads on the same subject, or do not give enough info. When I started, I had no idea that people could trace threads so easily and thought posting on several would giveme more chance of success. So be gentle!
jan

FRANK06

FRANK06 Report 14 Jul 2009 19:29

Well Janet,
It's sometimes difficult to find a sensible request that doesn't require translation ( text speak etc.) never mind the niceties of please and thank you.
Posters might do well to remember that this site is WWW .......World Wide and of course if you can't understand a message in the first place then it may well go unanswered!
Given time we will probably hear the old addage that Ps & Qs are irrelevant now and that we should just get on with our jobs ?!!!?
I am certainly indebted to many people on these boards who have given their time freely.

Thanks to you all,

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Jul 2009 04:47

Courtesy costs nothing ....... and a thank you is soooooooooo appreciated after spending hours searching for information!

Like Ann of Green Gables, I'm convinced that a lot of newbies believe that any help on this site is given by employees of GR .......... but that still doesn't excuse the lack of courtesy.

sylvia