Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adding information

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Olgiza

Olgiza Report 14 Jul 2009 21:25

Hello, it's been a long time since I ventured onto the Tips board and having had a good look and a search I notice that it is as good as ever. One of the reasons I have been away has been to consolidate the information that I have on the family and to liaise with some cousins both here and in Canada. This has been productive in that I have been able to write a narative account of quite a few people on my tree which takes them from just numbers and dates into the realm of being people in a real world. These are held on my system as word documents which for some reason I though that I could just copy and paste or upload. Today I deleted about 1500 words on a great grandfather's page and would like to replace them with about 2000. Is there anyway I can do this?
I would appreciate any advice that doesn't involve retyping please. Unless I suppose it is really the only way to get it onto the page.
Many thanks for reading this and I look forward to your replies. Olgiza Roger

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 14 Jul 2009 21:39

Upload to where? Your tree on Genes?

Olgiza

Olgiza Report 14 Jul 2009 22:23

Good evening Ozibird. Sorry, I should have said. Yes, I want to add to the notes section on various relatives pages here on GR. Thanks for your reply and comment. Olgiza Roger

Jacqui

Jacqui Report 14 Jul 2009 23:46

Hi Olgiza

Copy and paste should work fine. You would have to do each person individually though and also the notes box on here might have a limit

Olgiza

Olgiza Report 15 Jul 2009 10:50

Good morning Jacqui. Thanks so much. Last night I tried three or four times to cut and paste no effect. This morning I read your reply and reluctantly gave it another go. I already KNEW that it wouldn't work...This time it worked. Obviously I had done something wrong previously but your nudge did the trick. Sorry to have been a little cynical when I first read your reply and many thanks for doing so. Outcome was two fold the first was that I have done what was intended and the second was to realise that I am not too old to remember that if aid is offered then take it that someone knows what they are talking about and trhat's why they bothered to reply.
By the way there seems to be no limit so far.
Many thanks, Olgiza Roger