Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Cancelling Ancestry subscription

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Meryl

Meryl Report 14 Jul 2009 22:02

Can anyone please tell me, if I cancel my Ancestry subscription will I still be able to keep my tree on there or is it wiped off? I only want to cancel for a few months.
Thanks Meryl

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 14 Jul 2009 22:49

I think you can leave it on there - but you could always ring them to check. I've found them really helpful on the phone.

Jill

English Bob

English Bob Report 14 Jul 2009 23:33

....you have access to everything you leave behind. You will not be able to add, search or go beyond what you have left. If you re-instate, sign up again, pay time! all will be there as if you never left. Take a break. But before you go put everything you have to print and also a web tree on tribalpages, this is free and forever....back it up on paper..back it up on disc and back it up again, if you meulerr who is going to to your research again.

Bob, only one hundred years to live left and that's harsh when I have 100000 cans of Tenants left

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 15 Jul 2009 04:45

You can search the 1881 census and bmds but not the later ones

''Eastender''

''Eastender'' Report 15 Jul 2009 17:13

It's my understanding that if your tree is a private tree, once you cancel your subscription it automatically becomes a public tree for any one to view.

Pam

HeadStone

HeadStone Report 15 Jul 2009 17:41

Hi,
Why don't you just save it to your computer as a Gedcom file. If anything should go wrong or not work quite the way you believe then you can just upload it again after you sign back on.
Paul

Thelma

Thelma Report 15 Jul 2009 18:42

I have a free/guest account on Ancestry.
I have the option private or public.
Private Tree
This setting makes your tree "Private" so that it can't be viewed as a Public Member Tree. Note that the information from your tree will still be indexed for searching, but those who find your information can't view your tree without your permission.
Public Tree
Making your tree public benefits you and the community
•When your trees are publicly viewable, it is easier to find relatives using Ancestry.
•Ancestry members can get in touch with you and help with your research. (This is done without showing your name or email address.)

Meryl

Meryl Report 15 Jul 2009 22:31

Hi, thank you all so much, I will give them a ring,

Paul - Is it easy to put it on a Gedcom file?

Thanks again for all your help.

Best wishes Meryl

Will be off line now till tomorrow.

PriscillaEmilywasMoonbeam

PriscillaEmilywasMoonbeam Report 16 Jul 2009 04:53

If you cancel your Ancestry subscription you will still be able to access your tree but you will not be able to access any records that you have attached. e.g census and bmd records.

So you should make sure you have saved any records to your computer before cancelling. If you renew the subscription after a lapse those records will still be there.

Gee

Gee Report 16 Jul 2009 06:04

You can download this for free and upload your tree from Ancestry directly onto it...its easy

http://www.myheritage.com/family-tree-builder?gclid=CNyz94y52ZsCFZgU4wodvl7s-A

i think you might be limited to 100 family members for the free one, but its on you pc as opposed to a site you will always have it.

If you are a member on GR you can upload your tree from Ancestry to your GR tree

you should aways have a back up of your tree, youve spent so much much time and no doubt money creating it. The very least you should do is each time you add to your tree is go to the bottom of your home page on GR and click on export gedcom, they will send you an email of your tree. You cant do anything with it unless you have gedcom sofware but it will always be there for you if things went 'belly up' on GR

x

Meryl

Meryl Report 16 Jul 2009 17:12

Thanks Moonbeam and Ginny

Now another question - Where do I get the Gedcom software? Sorry if I seem a bit thick!

Will check out my heritage later

Thank you,

Meryl

HeadStone

HeadStone Report 16 Jul 2009 21:02

Hello Meryl,
Yes it's very easy to have it as a gedcom file. Go to Ancestry and log on. Click on the "Family Trees" tab and your tree should be listed. Along side it, it should say "Manage Tree". Click on "Manage Tree" and when the new window opens, on the right hand side it should say "export tree". Click on that and follow the last few instructions. Dead easy.
Bye
Paul

Meryl

Meryl Report 16 Jul 2009 23:12

Paul - Thank you so much I have done it!!!!!

Meryl