Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Unexpected info on birth cert.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karen

Karen Report 15 Jul 2009 12:29

Hi I found an entry which tiesin with names, years etc for my uncle born arthur pugh, 1928 shropshire motherd maiden name smith but at the side it says Birmingham N any ideas what this could be the reg no is 6d which is usually Atcham
cheers Karrie

Thelma

Thelma Report 15 Jul 2009 12:48

Each district is not allocated its own number.
Warwickshire share three I believe.

BIRMINGHAM NORTH REGISTRATION DISTRICT
Registration County : Warwickshire.
Created : 1.10.1924 (formerly part of Aston and Birmingham districts).
Abolished : 1.10.1932 (succeeded by Birmingham district).
Sub-districts : All Saints; Aston; Duddesdon; Erdington; Ladywood; St. Marys.
GRO volumes : 6d
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Go to Freebmd select a year and a quarter enter smith and 6d.It will give you a large number of districts.

AllanC

AllanC Report 15 Jul 2009 13:13

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but if you know your uncle was born in Shropshire and the BMD index entry you've found gives Birmingham N it suggests that it's not the same person.
In the absence of information I'm just guessing here, but if you're sure it's the right person it might be that he wasn't actually born at the family home in Shropshire (for any number of reasons). You can only really tell if you get a certificate. You can ask GRO to check details like the exact date or father's first name but this can create as many problems as it solves. These two recent posts might be helpful:
http://www.genesreunited.com/boards.asp?wci=thread&tk=1129611
http://www.genesreunited.com/boards.asp?wci=thread&tk=1162484
Good luck

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 15 Jul 2009 13:31

The birth was definitely registered in Birmingham North - which is volume number 6d.

Atcham is volume number 6a.

Kath. x

Karen

Karen Report 15 Jul 2009 14:47

Thankyou all , looks like its back to the drawing board!!!!!!!! I can find all the siblings of my father's family except this one and I guess the names smith and pugh are pretty common thanks again
Karrie

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 15 Jul 2009 16:36

Karen,

The two registration districts aren't that far apart. Perhaps his mother was visiting relatives or friends when he was born. If you know his mother's full name then you could order the certificate and use his mothers first name as a reference checking point. If the mother's name is different then they won't send the certificate and you will get £4 of your £7 refunded.

There are only two Arthur Pugh births in the Atcham registration district and the mother's maiden name is not Smith on either of them.

Looking again at the entry the volume number actually looks like 3d, although according to Genuki Birmingham North at that time was volume number 6d, so I'm not sure which is right.

Kath. x